Pyro in schools

willburgher

hi I'm the tech manager at a school I was wondering if its advisable using pyro in schools (just the flash's really) I have used pyro before but not in a school and no the safety aspects and operation of pyro we are using it outdoors for a battle scene effect wheather that is better or worse I don't know yet

thanks

I really wouldn't advise it.

Firstly, are you the tech manager as in you're employed to work there, or are you a student there? If you're only a student you can't just decide to do this, tech manager or not, you've got to get permission from staff in authority who can check that the licenses are in place. Which they aren't for most schools. IIRC you'll need licenses to store the things (if it's above a certain amount?) as well as set them off.

In my mind, even if you have got a license to do it, it's just not a good idea. Most of the students in the school I used to do tech at had trouble understanding "There's a big white line you can't cross otherwise you won't be seen." So I never tried to tell them "there's a big red and yellow line you can't cross because you'll get your head blown off." I know that's ridiculously extreme, but I just wouldn't trust everyone on stage to be able to be sensible with explosives around. If you just want the flashes, look at audience blinders or strobes or something. I know it's not the same effect, but for a school situation it should be sufficient.

Obviously I'm generalising not knowing the situation that you're using them in, what the production is etc. but in my mind the risks for using those things in schools are just usually too high. I'm no expert, so others may disagree, but that's why I err on the side of caution.

Archived