Pyro restrictions?

kingjohno

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's down to the licence from the local authority in most venues - although my own one doesn't mention pyros at all. Risk assessment is vital, operator training too. You also need to make sure your self-assessed fire risk assessment can cover it. Most people hire the kit in from the usual suppliers, and buy the cartridges - which often cost between 3 and 5 quid each.

Are there any restrictions as to where you can use Pyro in theatres?

Hmmm...

Been here before - LOTS of times.

Short answer is if you have to ask the question, then you are NOT competent to buy and/or operate pyro effects.

Sounds a little harsh, but them's the facts I'm afraid.

And as a HS student you yourself should not be in a position of responsibility whereby you can buy or operate pyro.

And even if the operator is likely to be a teacher, that teacher MUST be fully aware and cognisant of ALL the dangers and risks associated with pyrotechnics and their safe use.

And yes - a FULL RA must be carried out in any event before you even consider the use in a school.

I'm only asking the question because as a school we have no experience with even thinking of using Pyro.

I would not be in charge of the Pyro whatsoever.

A teacher would be, and as in every single thing you do in school a full risk assessment would be carried out.

The venue's licence may have terms, ask the licence holder as they are truly responsible for all that happens. They should also be wise on insurance issues. MSER governs use and storage. The LAW forbids under 16s handling pyro in any way and makes it very difficult to see how an under 18 could legally handle pyro except under very close supervision.

To use pyro you need to produce written evidence that the venus approves and that you have tested and risk assesswd the entire system of the effect. First you must take all steps to prevent incidents, secondly you must have proof of due dilligence in case of an incident.

As your profile says you are a student you cannot have the legal responsibility to supervise pyro. Especially in a shhool the MSER requirement to secure the pyro and hardware against unauthorised access in important

Typical effects cost from £2 to £30 an item and have to be bought in full boxes to comply with UN shipping regs. A few bigger items are in singles the smaller items can be in packs of 20+.

As for hiring ring your local supplier, if they have the hardware they can probably supply the effects too.

DO the ASP course, as in the pinned topic at the head of this forum, there you will learn all the rules and best practises needed to do good pyro within the law.

can anyone link me to a the secton of the regs Re age for handling/firing etc.

I have used pyros many times, with just myself in charge of the system, loading etc, But I have now started work for a school, who are thinking of pyros for the next production,

Unfortunatly we have a couple of staff who wont take anyones word for anything, and will want to see it in black and white.

Staff members being very carefull is highly reasonable, however:

MSER section 2 para 7 says

Employment of young persons

7. No person who manufactures or stores explosives shall permit a person between the age of 16 years and 18 years to work in that manufacture or storage except under appropriate supervision

This prevents a young person being "in charge" of pyro, as "in charge" means not under supervision!

Get a copy of the act! It is a free download from HMG!

Added: from here http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2005/20051082.htm#7 or thereabouts

And yes - a FULL RA must be carried out in any event before you even consider the use in a school.

bit of a catch-22 situation that isn't it Ynot? :** laughs out loud **:

Erm, why?

:angry:

because how can you do a risk assessment on something before you've even considered using them? surely you have to consider the possibilities of what you would want to do, so you can carry out a risk assessment on the situations presented by those possibilities

Archived