Opinions sought on basic pyro

Johnno

The drama teacher has asked me whether her upcoming play can close its final performance with a flash or shower of glitter. I pointed out that neither of us knows anything about pyro which she agreed, but I said I'd look into it. Is it a feasible request? I should add that I'm an employee of the school, electrically competent, and my job as a technician includes handling hazardous chemicals, so I'm cautious. The show is next week so there's probably not enough time to go on a course.

A shower of glitter can be achieved without pyro, using a compressed air system. There are still risks to assess, but fewer.

Another possibility would be to talk to a local 'competent' technician, or your local supplier. OK, both of those may cost, but perhaps not much. Where abouts are you?

Easiest is a falling shower of glitter coming from a bag or box or several overhead released on cue by string. Half inch squares tend to be effective.

Next easiest is possibly the gas powered glitter cartridge hired or buy a one time product from the wedding market. I don't think the ASP ( www.stage-pyro.org.uk) site allows search by area, but a direct PM to Lincoln may get you a contact.

With pyro the big prob is keeping a safe area clear while the pods are loaded. Also what cartridges does your supplier have. They dont go by post so often there is the "weekly van" to wait for.

They dont go by post so often there is the "weekly van" to wait for.
If you mean by 'post' the GPO, then probably not. But ALL my pyro purchases come by courier - as good as (if not better than) the Royal Mail!

However, my reply to this...

The show is next week so there's probably not enough time to go on a course.
... is that it's now too late to talk about pyro for a variety of safety and practical reasons. Either go with a low-tech solution as has already been offered, or simply say 'sorry' and maybe politely suggest that a lot more notice next time would help.

JustFX have great CO2-fired cannons which are not classed as pyro - I've used 'em for glitter drops in pantos and they work really well. Or, have a search for snow curtains I'm sure there are threads here about how to construct them - they're exactly the same principle, just a different product dropping for them, and they're easy and relatively cheap to make.

The show is next week so there's probably not enough time to go on a course.
... is that it's now too late to talk about pyro for a variety of safety and practical reasons.
You simply do not have time to do a proper risk assessment and confirm insurance/local licensing/fire regulations, therefore you cannot use pyro this time.

However, you could start organising course attendance and confirming insurance etc now, so you will be prepared for future productions!

Hi, I know you wont have time to get it but for anyone who is interested then there is this little number from our German friends

Confetti Shower Machine

It sounds good, I will be getting one for my school soon,

The only problem that I could think of that this would have is that the confetti could get stuck, and the fact you have to run a power lead to the op to switch on at the right moment, but thats not much of a setback...

Anyone have any objections to it... bearing in mind for me it would be in a school used by the stage crew :stagecrew:

Later :P

Anyone have any objections to it... bearing in mind for me it would be in a school used by the stage crew
I don't see anyone on here having a problem with it; but the cleaners will loath it. You will be finding the stuff for years! :stagecrew:

Archived