What about using Powercon?

MarkPAman

This noise-boy is wondering why Powercon has not been mentioned yet. ;)

Small, easy to wire, one handed plugging/unplugging, 20A (and 32A I think). :o

Needs an adaptor to link two leads and can not be hot plugged. :(

What have I missed?

This noise-boy is wondering why Powercon has not been mentioned yet. :o

What have I missed?

Expensive. Proprietary. ;)

I wasn't around when 15A was a household or even non theatre connector, but certainly AFAIK now there aren't many options for 15A connectors apart from the Duraplug, Permaplug and the rubbish plastic/ceramic type ones that break if you touch them. I find this quite interesting, especially when on the other hand 16As have a much larger market, both theatre, industry and caravans, which I think can only really be a good thing and must have helped to bring down the price significantly, therefore helping to persuade people to change.

I don't know about Powercon, but I doubt its got the IP rating compared to Ceeform, certainly if you look at the IP65/68 etc, which is yet another benefit.

Another vote for powercon I'm afraid. Far less bulky than 16 or 15A, but agreed, it is proprietary and has a low IP rating. Not a massive problem in theatre though. Failing powercon, 16A for me! It's a far safer connector in my opinion, far less chance of electrocuting yourself if connecting whilst live.

A university near here has their patch bay in one of their studio spaces as Powercon. Standard NZ sockets in the grid, and Powercon to NZ plug leads for patching.

Only disadvantage- they are not rated for hot patching, so much so that you run the risk of damaging the connectors if you have a 20A load going through that you make or break live.

Powercon do not need a tool to expose the live conductors so should never escape into d0m3stic use.

The cost of labour to change a socket still exceeds the extra cost of the 15a connector. Once there is a change all sockets edict some venues will suffer due to the cost of the additional rewire and refit program that suddenly appears necessary.

Powercon do not need a tool to expose the live conductors so should never escape into d0m3stic use.

They do if you follow the assembly instructions correctly (see the 'Assembly Instruction PDF on this page: http://www.neutrik.com/uk/en/industry/204_...oductlist.aspx)

Fasten bushing by means of a fork wrench 3/4”, min. Torque 2.5 Nm (1.8 lb-ft).

but admittedly, it would be easy not to assemble one like this.

I bet that quite a few people could undo a Powercon (that has been tightened using a tool) by hand.

It would be lot harder than you'd think, with a properly tightened Powercon.

I've tried to do it, and haven't managed it.

Powercon seems like a bad idea to me as there is no in-line socket. An extension cable would require both power-in and power-out connectors as well as a loose adaptor. The latter will inevitably grow legs and move itself to a different flight case from the cables, in just the same way as the Speakon extension adaptors always do.

I thought I was going crazy, but it seems I'm only partially wrong. Neutrik don't currently produce an inline Powercon socket, but given they now do a Speakon one, I imagine it can only be a matter of time. However dealing with the multiple types of plugs and sockets could get quite confusing I'd imagine.

Of course I may be getting confused by the Powercon system myself, and the concept of a Powercon socket and extension lead may be impossible...

>SNIP<

<_< Neither does a dom stic pendant set (Ceiling rose & lampholder), in fact if you remove the lamp, pokey, pokey fingers can..... . . . . . . .

I have just modified my LED par cans,

Theoretically not a bad idea, but as Peter has pointed out above, Neutrik don't appear to make an in-line Powercon socket.... making extending the reach of these a little tricky.

I'm assuming here (never yet having used Powercon) that there are female double-ended connectors in the same way that Speakons can be extended, but those are pretty easy to mislay/get stolen....

Archived