New cabs wanted, which do I choose????

johndenim

Sure Shaggy, but surely the bigger the speaker size, the more air it is capable of moving? (comparable companies only)

I know a lot of it is down to the design of the box, materials used, etc.

John Denim.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In my opinion saying you can't compare two speakers because one is a 12 inch and the other is a 15 is wrong. It's still a speaker and the 12 could go lower or the 15 could sound better in the high mid even if this isn't the general rule. Sure not all speakers will have a direct equivalent but most manufacturers have something that does most jobs.

I see exactly the point your making, however a 15" is always going to shift more air than a 12" in one sweep, simply because of physics. However sure enough hertz ect can vary between the two depending on the quality of the drivers. However with the speaker ranges were comparing, I would be very suprised, however not stunned, if a 15" can move faster than a 12", because it takes so much more effort to move a 15" driver than it does a 12".

Rich

Different boxes for different applications.

I'm trying to give examples that fit the OP's needs. Q7 as Pete says is NOT a line array module, it can be used as a downfill in the Q1 array, but is primarily a standalone mid/top on a stick / yoke with 2x10's and a 1.3HF weighing in at a mere 22kg if my memory serves me well. It's a louder box than the PS15, and it's arrayable, but that isn't the point here. It's also more expensive.

What I meant by different concepts is that D&B use low power handling boxes and drivers within boxes which are massively efficient to get the desired effect, Nexo PS series use drivers that are in comparison quite inefficient, and have a much higher power handling. The difference in output is still about 4 dB in favour of the Q7 but both boxes achieve the same sort of results, that is what I referred to as a .. different concept. Both boxes are fine for the OP's needs if budget allows. The C6 is also acceptable here. As are the smaller l'acoustic boxes mentioned.

The other systems mentioned, alpha et al, can be good or bad, but either way it doesn't fit the OP's needs. I could say that none of the boxes above sound as good as the Longbow boxes, and they don't to my ears, but that doesn't help anyone.

I see you are a Martin audio fan Rob,

thought I'd mention that I saw a duo recently and they had 18" martin subs, and x2 (per side) martin tops, stacked in an array.

Didn't catch the model but the tops looked like x2 10" drivers in each cab?

The sound from the tops was great, a nice HF but with no nasty mid, are these the cabs you have previously mentioned?

John Denim.

I have to be honest....

...I'm afraid I think they are horrible sounding things even though they seem to be very reliable!

Peavey cabs are not reliable the horns go so easy and they are one of the most expensive to replace, nearly as cheap to buy sh pair for same price to repair!

Anyhow OP keep what you have, use them for a while and save up and buy a complete new system, check out thomann.de for some great bargins and thomann's own brand are quite good.

Yes,

As I have mentioned I also host Karaoke events, ( Fingers in the pies and all that! )

So I am looking at a powered Dynacord, (1400w) so I don't have to take my new cabs into dodgy pubs, for that I will keep my peavey impulse.

The powered version is only a shade higher in price than the unpowered, there have been some good bargains going on Ebay recently but I'm not sure about second hand?

Brand new the Dynacord powermate mk 2 retails at about £1,200.

Which is not going to break the bank, and hopefully give me the desired sound quality.

:D

John Denim.

Ps 6th order, you have had experience with the Logics?

Cheers.

Plenty, as I used to sell it, though that was just before the powered stuff came out. It took a while before the 18" sub was made. You used to have to buy a sub from the more expensive systems. I think the combination you are going for will give you a nice full low bass with a smooth but clear vocal (assuming the source is good!)

The passice verson of the 15" with a Dynacord PM was a good seller. The amp has a notch filter to give the bottom end a little bit more. It works well without muddying the vocals.

You should even get a better sound from your Impulses.

As a side note, make sure you get the covers for your speakers.

Yes, that was the plan, I wouldn't have them without, although Sound control do like to charge quite a lot for 'em!

I understand the notch filters act as a feedback destroyer also?

That would be handy as I control the sound myself from the stage.

Thanks for the input 6th order, anything else I need to know about the Dynacord?

John Denim.

I agree that they are not the cheapest around, if anyone has any alternative (powered mixer with all the trimmings!) for around the same price and the same quality, I'd love to know.

At the moment it is my no1 choice as the build quality is great, the EQ is of German quality, I have a Yamaha at the moment and this sounds completely different, I think Japanese manufacturers mixers are configured in a different way? ie, level on the pots, sweep mid range, etc.

Does anyone else believe the Japanese mixers sound different to European mixers?

;)

John Denim.

Archived