New PA System

fatfrog

Well It's time I change the pa system - it's been on the road for 4 years now and I'm sick of dragging it around the place.

In my studio I've got a genelec system which is absolutely stunning - and I'm hoping to take this kind of sound on the road - so I'm thinking along the lines of the rcf tt+ range - I've been told that they are amazingly good for their size. They aint cheap though.

Currently looking at

2x RCF tt08a 8inch Tops - I know they sound very small but by all accounts they really do put up a serious fight against most 12inch speakers

2x RCF tts12a 12inch Subs - it's small but if it lives up to rcf's specs its really something special.

I have been told this system was demo'd at Plasa last year so I'm just wondering did any of you guys hear it.

Other than that any other alternatives around the EUR6000 roughly £4500 mark

Also The system has to be light and active - as it's the system that'll go out in mpv cars.

Thanks for your time

Alan

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the specs look good, but that's only part of the story. If you're spending that sort of money then get a demo. It would be interesting to set it up along side something like an HK system of that physical size to find out if it warrants the higher price.

Edit - missing words :o

Sorry...I don't know about the rest of the regular suspects but somehow I missed this one entirely first time around. I wasn't snubbing you, honest!

Anyhow, I've also heard and been impressed with the RCF tt+ kit...to my ears it sounds darn good for the money. However, one question for you: what sort of sounds will you be putting through your final choice and what size of venues do you play in? Once we know those little tidbits, I suspect more people will be chiming in!

Bob

Yes, I have just arranged a test drive on the rcf system - they are giving me a system to test for a few days to see how I get on with it.

As regards the space - pub gigs,halls,etc, but to be honest I'm looking for a system with serious power in a small size.

Well, the other system I'd look at would be HK.

If portability is the big thing, the LUCAS system packs a fair bit of punch in a very small package; if you're willing to carry a bit more weight (but still a small system) the ELIAS does a very good job in a nicely portable size. Either should come in within your budget and are certainly worth a listen.

Bob

Hmm, The QSC's are rather large - I really aint sure - but I'm listening to the RCF's this week hopefully - or early next week.

I am also looking to buy a recognized & respected brand as im hoping to get this out on some more serious events - My plan being to get to bigger rcf tt+ tops when budget allows giving me a flexible system consisting of both foh & monitor speakers.

Also - Hoping to buy a yamaha ls-9 before the summers out so I'd have a nice little system aiming towards the semi-touring marking for small gigs/corporate work.

Any other suggestions??? - I know the HK stuff is quite similar so I'll have a listen to that too - I'd like to listen to the actor dx but the dimensions/weight seem to be out of my range.

I didn't mention the HK Actor system because of the size. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the output you can can from the ELIAS (or even the LUCAS) though. Frankly, between the RCF and the HK stuff, I think the choice is going to come down to personal preference. Either could do the job for you (though the HK has a bit more track record than the RCF TT).

Back to your original question, to my ears the HK is a bit more Genelec-like (though the purpose of studio monitors is very different to SR speakers) but I'd happily mix to either set of speakers. Pair either with an LS9 and you have a very flexible and highly portable system.

Bobbsy

interesting that you don't think the qsc are a well respected brand... A huge number of uk companies have the qsc amps in their hire stock.. The qsc boxes are just that.. You'd be suprised.. In the price brack they can't be beaten..

QSC amps are deservedly well respected. However, their venture into powered speakers is relatively recent and (while they may be okay) as a cabinet manufacturer they are rather unproven.

In any case, the OP specified he wants high performance in a small size; the QSC boxes are more "normal" (i.e. heavy) rather than particularly small.

Bob

Thats what I meant to say - QSC amps are fantastic - I've got one of them here which gets sent out with one of the small baby systems

I'm not keen on the qsc speakers though - partly cos I've seen a few systems up on suppliers pre owned gear as being nearly new etc - but I'd suspect that there is a reason there getting rid of them...

I was looking at the fohhn stuff too - looks nice - but the whole active sub with 2nd passive sub and passive tops confused me completely.

Alan

All the systems mentioned are good systems, I think the QSC are more in line with the standard RCF 4pro system large good sounding powered speakers, The RCF and HK are both compact going and lightweight, the RCF seem a better bet going by spec even though they cost a bit more, they are more flexible and have more power available.

If your getting a demo of the RCF then thats the best way to go.

Cheers

James

Archived