Silk flame effects...

Ynot

Evening all.

Struggling to get a silk flame effect to function well. The silk I've cut (3rd attempt now) works fine and looks great, BUT when it falls over it doesn't seem very keen to recover, and thus 'flap' upwards again without a gentle prod.

So - is there a knack to how these are shaped, or mounted?

The effect I've built is a fire grate, using two decent mains fans side by side.

Hmmm............ ©

If I know my physics, all that fabric with air passing over it is going to build up a static charge which I imagine is going to encourage the fabric to 'stick' when it collapses which is why the fans aren't able to revive it.

Whether it is a fabric choice, or if there is a coating you can apply, I don't know. Might be worth seeing if you can 'ground' the fabric in some way....

Jake

If I know my physics, all that fabric with air passing over it is going to build up a static charge which I imagine is going to encourage the fabric to 'stick' when it collapses which is why the fans aren't able to revive it.

Nope - I don't believe it is static, and as for earthing the fabric, it is anyway, by virtue of the earth connection to the metal fans - the fabric is attached to the casing.

If not due to static build up, then I would imagine air pressure would determine the ability of the silk to correct itself.

If the silk falls in such a way that allows enough air to escape through gaps to the extent that it reduces the force of the air stream so that it is not strong enough to push the mass of fabric back into an upright position, then that could be another possible reason.

That or you can blame it on the gnomes! :o

Note: Facebook login required for the link here

Jake

I seem to remember all the larger flame effects I've used have an inverse-funnel thus increasing the airflow at the point where it meets the silk, do you have something like this on your device?
Now that's an idea - bit like a vertical windsock, yes?Hadn't tried that, though it may be tricky with 2 fans, but I'll give it a go! :DCheers
I seem to remember all the larger flame effects I've used have an inverse-funnel thus increasing the airflow at the point where it meets the silk, do you have something like this on your device?
Now that's an idea - bit like a vertical windsock, yes?Hadn't tried that, though it may be tricky with 2 fans, but I'll give it a go! :DCheers
OK - sad that I am, that idea was laying on my mind. However, unfortunately, whilst it sort of worked, it didn't really look right....However, back at version 4, I tried trimming some more fabric off and tightened the silk across the surface of the fans... Which seems to have helped enormously!The 'flames' now stay erect for 90% of the time, and recover almost every time they do drop, so I think I may have finally hit it!:o

Here's another way,

We bought a load of 12v flame lights very similar to this e-bay item (310011104741). They are ideal for building into fire grates, placing on castle/dungeon walls for torch lights, can even be battery powered for short periods and carried in hand held props.

We bought a load of 12v flame lights very similar to this e-bay item (310011104741).

Interesting.

The ebay advert gives no dimensions, or idea of scale. I'm guessing they're small... - do you have any approx dimensions?

I suppose the only indication of scale is the reflector of the dichroic lamp - if indeed that's what it is... Is it a MR16 (50mm) or MR11 (35mm)

Well lighting always get lumbered with it, so might as well be :P

That said, the same is often true with Pyro, Smoke, CO2, Dry Ice, Water effects etc etc... so maybe not so much now that I think about it :)

Have you done anything to 'straighten' your airflow? If you're using bog-standard equipment fans then there is a rotational component to their airflow which will hinder the silk 'standing-up' again. A few baffles will help.

We bought a load of 12v flame lights very similar to this e-bay item (310011104741).

Interesting.

The ebay advert gives no dimensions, or idea of scale. I'm guessing they're small... - do you have any approx dimensions?

I suppose the only indication of scale is the reflector of the dichroic lamp - if indeed that's what it is... Is it a MR16 (50mm) or MR11 (35mm)

Hi Bruce,

Yes, MR11 - 10watt. Our units are a truncated cone with an upturned hemisphere (80mm dia) sat on the top, and a 125mm silk flame. Not much of an effect on their own but as said good for creating some animation in fire grates and torches.

I think we paid about £4.99 from somewhere like Pound Stretcher?

Have you done anything to 'straighten' your airflow? If you're using bog-standard equipment fans then there is a rotational component to their airflow which will hinder the silk 'standing-up' again. A few baffles will help.

Hmmm...

Now that's another logical thought process I missed...

We opened tonight, and the blighter still seems to be a tad unpredictable.

If I have chance tomorrow (trials with a Glaciator permitting) I'll have a play with directional airflow...

Cheers

;)

Archived