diy lighting desk

computer

Don't get me wrong, home brew dimmers can work really well, you just have to take sensible safety precautions. If you do decide to build anything always try and leave circuit and block diagrams for future repairs and alterations.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I quite like electronics projects, so it sounds like a cool idea. I'd like to get some sort of computer control though. so I need something to convert serial signals into 8x10v signals... hopefully using some prebuilt free software for simple control...

I've built amps and dimmers - started in the valve era still doing it for fun-- BUT you cannot make anything for the cost of purchasing one, only you will be able to service it and you wont find out if it puts interference out til you have made it. However its your choice to construct or not.

What is not your choice is the supply of power to your new lights, sort it out before you fry something or plunge a performance into total darkness as the supply fails.

Have a look at this.

http://www.geocities.com/ph_zone/Digi_Pack/Digi_Pack.html

can be analogue or digital ( DMX512)

Paul

hi, do you have any more info/pictures of your pack? Like shots from the sides with stuff on... I assume the DILs are at the bottom of the inside pic, in power on the left, fuses on the top and IECs on the bottom? What fuses you use per channel? 3amp?

only you will be able to service it and you wont find out if it puts interference out til you have made it.

If you leave circuit diagrams and block diagrams with it (stick them to the inside of the lid for example) any competent person will be able to service it.

Good design should eliminate interference, IMHO the design of http://www.geocities.com/ph_zone/Digi_Pack/Digi_Pack.html does not do enough to prevent it.

The geocities mentioned dimmer could really do with a suppresion choke in line with the L in as well as the snubber across the triac, have a look at :

http://www.rapidelectronics.co.uk/PDFs/CAT...ess%2010.03.pdf

Fuses plus panel holders are usually almost as much as MCBs, triac tends to go with a lamp so mount the legs to a terminal strip or molex for easy change, not through the board.PCB fuse holders are darn cheap.

Use more space, its not minaturisation you need, its live mains and hot triacs, give the triacs plenty of alloy, leaving lights on pre heat heats everything.

Opto and physically isolate everything, should be no possibilty of DMX line going to 240V.

Put power good neon directly across 240V mains and power good LEDs across all LV rails, pretty lites can be reassuring.

But TBH buying is cheaper and less hassle, Thomann :

www.thomann.de

Mush

The design above is mainly just to prove that the smaller Pic chips are easily able to receive the DMX Data and phase angle control mains as well at the same time ( lots of interrupt based code.)

But the suppersion in not great.

Mainly designed for resisive only loads.

But to add chokes and other method of suppersion is not difficult.

But building your own equipment is not the cheapest option have a look at this.

http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/product.asp...uct%5Fid=272238

They have a 4 channel Dimming pack for £80.

Paul

do you have any idea how much that cost you to make paul?

I know it mihgt not be cheap or easy or as good building your own, but I am interested in knowing about it anyway...

Can you use a similar pic setup to turn DMX into 0-10v analogue and vice-versa?

Prototype PCBs aren't that expensive anymore.

I've used these people Olimex PCBs who will do you a double-sided board 100mm x 160mm for just 26 dollars which is about £15 at today's exchange rate, or a DS board 200mm x 320 mm for 104 dollars (£60). What's nice is that you can have as many boards as you can fit on that size for your money.

Archived