Soundcheck Playlists

PeterT

Probably best to use something you know REALLY well....... pointless using Mozarts requiem if you are in to AC/DC???!!! B)

Something with dynamics, mixtures of accoustic and non-accoustic intsruments, and of course a voice would be handy. :stagecrew:

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Something with dynamics, mixtures of accoustic and non-accoustic intsruments, and of course a voice would be handy. :stagecrew:

Have any of you guys heard of a guitarist called Yngwie Malmsteen ? Some of his tracks sound like a combination of classical and heavy metal ... and it works surprisingly well, imagine Beethoven, Bach, Paganini played on an electric guitar B)

Greetings,

Something else I use for line checking is a XLR connector that plays Happy birthday to you ( like a cheap musical birthday card) once you have applied phantom power to it. I think that it was a Neuman thing. After 5 mins of this running lx technicians are ready to offer you money to stop it.

Fleeting...

a XLR connector that plays Happy birthday to you

Oooh -

That's like one of those things that can really annoy someone if you accidentaly (of course) forget to remove it from some patch pannel or ctp...

Something else I use for line checking is a XLR connector that plays Happy birthday to you

I've got a toy that will get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves.... copyright squeaky Joe Pasquale

Have any of you guys heard of a guitarist called Yngwie Malmsteen ?

Is he still going? Heard some of his rising force stuff years ago then it went all widdly widdly. Quick story - I remember a band saying he had the biggest ego of anyone they met. They were playing a gig and he turned up and took over the dressing room and kicked them out. They were headlining and he wasn't playing that night.

• 4 weeks later...
I have an md with lots of hot starts pre programed for those musical interlude moments. on it there is the theme from the muppet show, the twighlight zone theme, a track by the queens of the stone age (containing thirty seconds of howling laughter) , a bit of mike oldfeild (the exorsist) and several monty python skits. Great for those "oh the set should be over there!" moments (cue muppet show) :D . But for sound checks then I like a bit of Beth Orton (makes me happy). A little all about eve (Martha's Harbour) (My first gig was doing lx for them and I LOVE Ms Reagans voice.) Makes everybody else fall asleap or want to cry :D ! for just flashing out drivers then I tend to use the loudest bit of rock I can find. :) (Been through Queens Of The Stone Age, Chilli's,Motorhead,One minuet silence and my prize whitesnake album. (things were thrown when I played that one!) :blink:

nice - could you somehow get a copy of that to me?

if I have my mp3 cd hooked up to the deck, I use a mix of all sorts - including monty pythons; the philosopher's drinking song and the universe tune.

kind of use all sorts really, at the 'mo I'm using fallen by evenescence as I like the variation on the tracks. some belters and some sleepers.

I did a show once with one of 'those' XLR testers in the patch panel(I am really a lampie that occasionally dresses as a noise boy :angry: ), I think that the tester ended embedded in the set - about 1/2 an inch above the perpetrators head. gave him a shock <_<

cheers

andrew

for just flashing out drivers then I tend to use the loudest bit of rock I can find. <_<  (Been through Queens Of The Stone Age, Chilli's,Motorhead,One minuet silence and my prize whitesnake album. (things were thrown when I played that one!) :angry:

May I recommend "The Darkness: Permisssion To Land" as another piece of massive rock to try your drivers out with...sounds lovely.

• 4 weeks later...
this kinda depends on what music you all like, but when we do sound checks we use some of my hard trance music, with very fast bass beats, tests the amp and speakers very nicely, ahem, we blew our old speakers up with it... anyway depends on what time of music your into...

• 3 weeks later...
Reading back a few weeks, I can heartily recommend Bryson's suggestion of Permission To Land as a cracking album to give a workout to your PA system. It's getting some pretty heavy rotation on my office PC and in the car just at the moment, and it rocks. Now where did I put my spandex trousers .... ?

well my colleague imposes a ban on us from playing any of my type of music when he is in the immediate area, he just plays his little bit of guitar music, which admittedly is quite good, but doesnt really give the system a work out I think, so when he leavs for a bit, on goes the hard dance and trance with the fast bass beats, that can test any speaker to their limits

Archived