Soundcheck Playlists

PeterT

I thought Lighnix's post about the music he used for sound checks might make another interesting general sound-based discussion:

I personally use 'Kosmos SX Dub' by Paul Weller off the Sunflower CD Single.

It's 10 mins long with bits with only guitar and bits with only drums plus the full stuff as well. Very good track that sorts most things out.

So what does everyone else use?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, not being a noise boy I don't really have much say on what gets played for system checks ... but some of the best ones I've heard over the years (both for musical quality, audio quality and some good dynamics to give a system a good work-out) are Runrig's "Big Wheel" album, "Insomnia" by Faithless (one FOH engineer I toured with mixed for Faithless once, so he used to play it a lot - and LOUDLY!) and an album called "Protocol" by Simon Phillips

I can't remember if this is true or not, but isn't one of the Dire Straits albums recognised to be a good one used because it was the first to use something? (Mixed for intentionally for CD or something.)

Yes I'm in a Sound Forum. Yes I'm out of my depth. Yes I'm a Sparkie.

Thankyou and goodnight! (I'll be here all week)

Stu

I tend to use whatever's handy,

On my prepared SFX test disk though (And when I admit I carry one of those arround I find Stu's excuse just melting away under my feet - however I will continue to hang on to it for dear life...)

Ok, I have

A handful of typical bad SFX

Fireworks,

Thunder,

Musical box,

Jet engine,

Music

Tina Turner's We don't need another hero

Handel's Zadoc The Priest

Mike Oldfield's Hibernaculum

Beautiful South Blackbird on a wire (accoustic)

and some other stuff.

Also what I sometimes use is something I've listened to a lot recently as I know it quite well,

but basicaly something known good that represents what the system will be used for (I doubt I would set up or eq a hip hop system the same as an eclesiastical SATB choir for example.

Oh and another track I like (coz I like it) is the opening movement to rossini's william tell overture

:stagecrew: Mmmmmm Cellos........... :stagecrew: <_<

Best thing I find is a CD / DAT that I've recorded at a live event if it's for live music, I tend to use program that matches what is going to be (re)produced at the event for system config, I have an amusing selection of great sound on recordings from absolutely awful bands, annoys everyone, especially the musicians :stagecrew:

Does anyone else make the first track on a minidisc a L/R 1KHz 0dB ref tone to match levels through the system and a pink noise check to do all the drivers? Very useful, same idea as a lamp check cue on the lx board.

Just wondering

Owen

Does anyone else make the first track on a minidisc a L/R 1KHz 0dB ref tone to match levels through the system and a pink noise check to do all the drivers? Very useful, same idea as a lamp check cue on the lx board.

No, I've got a little PP3 powered tone generator that does fine as I can also stick it anywhere for checking problem lines etc...

Greetings,

I use Jennifer warnes The Hunter. The production on the album is very good. Way Down Deep really works those subs. AC/DC Ballbreaker is another one especially Boogie Man and Stephen Orfs Camina Burana the first bit is good.

Fleeting

Whenever I'm working on an outdoor event some bloody noise boy always seems to get out their Crowded House CD, no matter what or where the event is! Still, I suppose its only natural.... :stagecrew:

Our sound engineer has developed a strong taste in very odd music.

For example:

No More Mr Nice Guy: Pat Boone doing big-band covers of classic heavy metal tunes.

Tapes of John Peel playing Cds skipping.

A Cd of music made by people hitting various lengths of soil pipe with flip-flops.

Thankfully, he now uses Mr Scruff: Trouser Jazz. It's still odd, but a lot more in the realm of the usual...except that track about fish. :stagecrew:

A Cd of music made by people hitting various lengths of soil pipe with flip-flops.

Isn't that pretty much what Blue Man Group do?! I have their CD, it's rather good.

Thankfully, he now uses Mr Scruff: Trouser Jazz.  It's still odd, but a lot more in the realm of the usual...except that track about fish.

Good album - but I don't think Fish is on it ... I only know that particular track from its use in Chris Morris' radio series Blue Jam (speaking of which, there are lots of good tracks to be found in those shows ... but that's another thread altogether ... :stagecrew: )

Stephen Orfs Camina Burana the first bit is good.

Not wishing to be the complete musical pedant that I am...

Oh go on then I will be

Carmina Burana is by Carl Orff.

Stephen Dorff was the bad guy in Blade with a strange attraction to sun block.

Much respect to fleeting for getting the piece's name right though.. Most know it as the Old Spice Music. :stagecrew:

P.S for all the younger members out there this is not a pop group reference :stagecrew:

Thankfully, he now uses Mr Scruff: Trouser Jazz.  It's still odd, but a lot more in the realm of the usual...except that track about fish.

Good album - but I don't think Fish is on it ... I only know that particular track from its use in Chris Morris' radio series Blue Jam (speaking of which, there are lots of good tracks to be found in those shows ... but that's another thread altogether ... :stagecrew: )

I think I meant "Ahoy There!" which is kind of about fish. But not called Fish.

http://www.trinzine.co.uk/smilies/hamster/fish_h4h.gif

Good album - but I don't think Fish is on it ...

Ah, just listened to it again to refresh my memory, and I guess you were referring to "Ahoy There!", the last track on the album, which does have a very fishy theme. The Mr Scruff track I was thinking of is simply called "Fish", and has a very similar fishy theme. Something tells me the guy likes fish ... :stagecrew:

*EDIT* : Don't ya just hate it when you start typing a reply to something, get called away for a few minutes, then post it only to find that it's already irrelevant! :stagecrew: <_<

Carmina Burana is by Carl Orff.

Much respect to fleeting for getting the piece's name right though.. Most know it as the Old Spice Music. :stagecrew:

I remember the Old Spice ads; the music was also used in the horror film The Omen, and by Ozzy Osbourne as the intro tape to some of his live concerts !

So that's Orff, Old Spice, Omen and Ozzy .... I feel a devious quiz question coming on :stagecrew:

Archived