Custom Gobo

kingjohno

The school I'm helping to do technical aspects of their shwo want to have a school logo and text shone onto the curtain.

So basically a customised filter for a spotlight I think?

Any ideas where I can get one from?

Moderation: Thread title updated to make subsequent searching easier

What you're looking for is a Gobo, not a filter. That should help when you're searching. Try also plugging in "DHA" or "Apollo" or "Rosco" when searching and that'll help. They won't be cheap, mind. Expect £100-£200 setup cost and then £10 ish per gobo.

You'll also need a lantern that will be able to project it. That means you need a profile spot with a gobo holder. Older lights may give unsatisfactory results, so unless you have Source 4s or similar new lights, you might want to hire one. They're not very expensive to hire really. It's the cost of the custom gobo that will be significant.

http://www.dhalighting.co.uk/custgobos.htm

should get you started.

What you need is a profile spot with a custom made gobo (a thin metalic disc with your logo etched into it - from people like DHA). This slides into a slot on the top of the lantern. Only profiles have these slots, and the optics to project a proper image - Fresnels - the ones with concentric circles on the front lense, can't do it.

For what it's worth, cheap profiles are never very good at intricate patterns, more expensive (as in hired in) can do it much better. You'll see in the results you get when you type 'gobo' into the search box, that there are many other possibilities.

Start here on your quest

EDIT

Don't you just hate it when people type faster!!

EDIT 2 - spelling gobo, gbo - was infact, a test. The other spelling error I have changed, and nobody spotted it - tut tut.

Instead of a custom gobo, using a Selecon Pacific lantern, you can use acetate printouts. They don't last forever, but may suit your needs.

Other alternatives would be a 35mm slide projector or a data projector. With suitable mounting, image etc yada yada yada....

More details to follow if you like the idea!

Rosco also do a fitting called an "ImagePro", which allows you to fit an acetate printout or slide to several other lanterns.

Again, acetates don't last forever, but the one we put in a Source 4 last year is still ok. (To be fair, we don't use it much)

Be aware that acetate masks don't give a good black, it's more of a dim grey - printer ink/toner simply isn't dark enough.

Custom Gobos are available in several formats. The cheapest are the pressed steel varieties but these only allow a two-tone effect (white on black). For gradiated black and white or full colour the production cost jumps up considerably.

Here is another company that we have used that produce gobos at good prices with a fast turnaround.

Projected Image

Steve

To bring a project into a school's budget (usually nil!) look around the gobo idea as well,also look at what you have already.

If there is an OHP then a slide can be made on the office copier. If there is a 35mm projector then a slide can be made in a camera. If there is a selcon pacific profile then an ohp cel will possibly last long enough. If there is a data projector then create the data file.

Gobos can be cut from lithographic plate or other thin metal.

If your school has cadcam milling equipment (I know my old school does now) you could use this to make a gobo.

If not, then a steady hand with a very sharp scalpel might be able to produce a usable result, I know theres some pics of very good hand cut gobos knocking around on the forum.

Goboland (www.goboland.co.uk) prices are very reasonable. £30 set up / first gobo, £10 per copy for simple steel gobos.

EDIT: remember you will need to buy a gobo holder to hold the gobo in to your profile spot. These are around £10. You need to make sure it is the correct size for your gobo, and the profile. These are available from the usual suspects (AC, 10outof10, Stage Electrics, Usedlighting)

Archived