Snow!!

Andy!

If you mean are they any good at making snow to lay on the stage and look like snow then the answer is no, if you just want an effect to simulate falling show then they aren't too bad, a bit noisy but OK.

They use fairly large fans to blow the show 'up and over'. In use they're normally on stage, a good place is up high behind the proc which helps mask the noise. I guess it really depends on what action is going on at the same time as you're using them.

There is, of course, the other way to do snow which is to drop "show snow" onto the stage. For example, Concept make show snow out of small bits of white plastic (like thin carrier bag material). You can also get paper snow (fire retardant or not) and in the good old days we used soap flakes. Anything white and lightweight should do the trick.

There are loads of ways of dropping it depending on your budget and venue. You could chuck it by hand, make a snowbag or use a machine designed for the job. Advantage is it is quiet. Disadvantage is it doesn't melt and therefore has to be swept up and can be just as slippy as foam snow.

• 4 months later...

Thought I'd drag an old topic back to life rather than starting a new one. ;)

I am trying to decide on a snow machine for a production this autumn and was looking at the Antari S100 Mk2 (Snow machine). It states that they have tried to reduce noise and vibration by enclosing the motor in rubber.

I wondered if anyone had experience of these machines and could tell me how noisy it actually is.

Or if anyone has any other recommendations I'll gladly listen

Thanks

Tony.

One of the best cannons I've worked with is made by 'Strong' and looks like a small jet engine...it's not the quietest about....but is quiter than others that we've had....they actually use foam solution (shampoo!) diluted with water for the snow....and you can use concentrate, and jack a hosepipe into the bottom if you ever want real foam....we covered a 40ft wide by 30ft deep area for an outdoor dance event with one...and we had waist deep foam all night....and one hell of a lot of mud on the floor when we had to do a get-out :blink: ;)

Don't ever, ever ever be tempted to drop things from the grid. In 1996 we had a police show in. They used dustbins loaded with confetti paper unknown to us. in their one night show finale they dropped it. Looked great. Didn't look great last week when more of it fell down mid show. We're still finding it today!

I'll second the comment about the machines sounding like hoovers.

following on in the tradition of snow machines, can anyone reccomend any kind of "big" machine...

I have had a request come in from one of my clients...

got a quick query on how much it would be to hire a huge snow cannon for an outside do. Coverage is about 300 square meters. Will be in the middle of december

quite why he is doing an outdoor event in december, god only knows, but any ideas, the only ones I have used in the past are the little (soundlab/chauvet/strong/acme - depending on badge) ones, and in order to achieve 300 sq/m I would need about 50 little ones, and some major rigging feat.

all ideas greatfully received...

Paul...

If you do choose to drop snow (or confetti, etc) from the grid, aside from the obvious mess issue, if you are going to resue it then be very very sure that there is no dirt/metal/stones etc (foreign objects) because they can be somewhat detrimental to eyesight. :unsure:

my $0.02

David

Archived