Soldering tinsell cable

paulears

I''ve just spent over an hour soldering a new jack plug onto a pair of Sennheiser headphones. They've got that awful enamel insulation. Over the years all I have ever done is attempt to scrape the enamel off, and then try to get enough visible copper to solder to. In most cases I get a dry joint, often not even a joint at all, and it takes excess heat to get enough of a joint to work. Today it took 3 tries.

Has anyone got a really simple method they use that does this more securely, both electrically and mechanically?

Apply the soldering iron to it for a while and it burns the enamel away and then tin the wires and away you go. I too find those sennheiser cables a pain but I've replaced the jack plugs on my set twice with good success. The worst problem I find is removing the string from the wire to avoid burning string.....

I''ve just spent over an hour soldering a new jack plug onto a pair of Sennheiser headphones. They've got that awful enamel insulation. Over the years all I have ever done is attempt to scrape the enamel off, and then try to get enough visible copper to solder to. In most cases I get a dry joint, often not even a joint at all, and it takes excess heat to get enough of a joint to work. Today it took 3 tries.

Has anyone got a really simple method they use that does this more securely, both electrically and mechanically?

The real trick is to get hold of some old fashioned Tin/Lead solder (not this RoHS compliant PbFree crap) and a pot of tip cleaner like this:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-5/1185528/TipCleaner.jpg

Unfortunately, both may be difficult to lay your hands on nowadays.

Hold the end of the bare wire over the tip cleaner and put the iron on it. Hey Presto, the enamel goes away and you can solder to the copper.

No, I'm giving mine away. I bought a supply 15 years ago and this is my last one. It's got to last me for a few years yet.

I use a match, set fire to the stringy stuff inside the wires, let it burn till halfway along exposed conductors, and extinguish the flame. Then rubbing conductors with my hands, the enamel has gone. I discovered this method years ago, and it is the only reason that I carry matches in my tool kit! I think I have repaired 10 pairs of Sennheiser headphones now, so getting quite good at it! Looks like others do the same.

Guest joewhite903

Hi there; just too let you know Maplin electronics still sells the tip-cleaner and Rapid do the 60/40 solder that's where I get mine from. joe

Moderation: Quote snipped and tidied

Is there actually any reason for them to use this kind of stuff?

I understand that it's more flexible and will with stand repeated rough handling. The patchcords used in old GPO telephone exhanges were made of tinsel cable which was crimped at the connector.

Simon

Archived