Strange cable

bruce

A pair of Sennheiser headphones, with a damaged jack plug.

No problem, we'll just chop off the plug and solder on a new one. Should only take a couple of minutes. At least, that's the theory......

half an hour and much cursing later, the job is done.

It's a "figure 8" cable, so actually 2x 2-core cables, one for each ear.

Inside each of the 2 cables there are 2 stranded wires, in contact with each other. One is normal standard copper wire, the other, which is in contact with the copper, is coated in some sort of insulator. It's shiny, metallic, red in one cable, blue in the other.

looks a bit like the enamel insulation you see on motor windings?

First attempt: Let's just try soldering it. Maybe the heat from the iron will burn off the insulation. Answer: no, it doesn't.

Second attempt: try cleaning off the enamel (?) with sandpaper. We now end up with something that resembles a poodle. There's some sort of fibre twisted in with the copper. The coloured stuff comes off, but you still can't solder it.

Third attempt. Burn it off! This actually worked quite well - I could light the "wire" with a match, let it burn for a cm or two, and then blow it out when the flame got to the appropriate bit, leaving the copper which could then be soldered. It was the fibre that was burning, I think, rather than the insulation.

So, what's the "proper" way of soldering this stuff??

Bruce.

I wrote:

So, what's the "proper" way of soldering this stuff??

Bruce.

I know it's bad practice to answer your own questions, but a "google" turned up a "Headphones FAQ" on http://www.headwize.com/faqs.htm, which answers this..... it seems that burning is the easiest option, unless you have a very hot soldering iron....

The FAQ says

Why can't I splice/solder/repair headphone cords from Sony (and some other brands)?

The wires in Sony headphone cords are insulated with a lacquer coating, which must be removed to make an electrical connection. Most low-wattage soldering irons are NOT hot enough to vaporize the coating. Here are some options:

o Dip the wires in alcohol and ignite with a match. The ignited alcohol should burn off the insulation. (Note: I have received email that merely heating the wires with a match or cigarette lighter (without any alcohol) works equally well.)

o Put the wires on an aspirin tablet and apply a soldering iron to the wire and aspirin until the aspirin melts. Aspirin is an acid that should dissolve the insulation.

o Try a high voltage soldering iron if available which will burn off the insulation while soldering

o Use a pocket knife to gently scrape off the insulation

o Dip the wires with a lacquer solvent until the coating dissolves

With any method involving a solvent, make sure there is adequate ventilation and avoid inhaling any vapors released by the process. After burning or dissolving the insulation, wipe the wires clean of any residue before soldering.

Guest lightnix
Put the wires on an aspirin tablet and apply a soldering iron to the wire and aspirin until the aspirin melts. Aspirin is an acid that should dissolve the insulation.

Who on earth thought that one up? :unsure:

Put the wires on an aspirin tablet and apply a soldering iron to the wire and aspirin until the aspirin melts. Aspirin is an acid that should dissolve the insulation.

Who on earth thought that one up? :rolleyes:

Dunno, doesnt seem clever though.. Salicylic acid is a 'weak' acid and surely couldn't react enough to dissolve the coating of the wires? ALso an asprin table wouldn't be solid salicylic acid IMO.

Archived