Best 4 colours for Rock and Roll

whitehousejamie

Hi All,

I know there are lots of topics suggesting the best colours to use with Bars of 6 cans. I am looking for suggestions of the best 4 choices for rock 'n' roll gigs, for an event where I am limited to bars of 4. I am considering a red, blue, green and magenta. Will also have a number of moving lights on the event, as well as Molefrays.

Thanks in advance.

Jamie

Red. Yes, I always like a more magenta than an orange one ( L046 is my fave ).

Blue. Yes, a saturated one. I always use 2x blues to everything else which means that with a bar of 6, you only have 5 colour choices (3 with bars of four). Blue is often the most useful colour and looks great. No more saturated than about L120 or you won't get any light out at all.

So, third colour? Well, it might be a toss up between a dark lav or an amber but you can mix the blue and red to get those pinky, purply hues so maybe a warm choice. I like L105 and L777 as they are nice warm ambers and not greeny yellows.

I wouldn't use green in a rig coz it makes people look ill. I know you can use it to colour mix but it it not useful on it's own. The nearest I ever get to green is something like L116 and I use that sparingly in floor cans on drumkits etc.

HTH

I would tend to use red, blue, magenta and either gold or orange. I'm quite keen on Congo for lighting drum kits.

Absolute no-no's for me are Green. Maybe a peacock if really needed. If using PAR64s, then saturated colour works for me - if not, then I go a bit lighter so as not to waste light.

I would tend to use red, blue, magenta and either gold or orange. I'm quite keen on Congo for lighting drum kits.

Absolute no-no's for me are Green. Maybe a peacock if really needed. If using PAR64s, then saturated colour works for me - if not, then I go a bit lighter so as not to waste light.

Heh Heh. Thanks for translating my post , Paul. Did you use a swatch book or what? :D ( only kidding )

Recent nice colours I have (accidentaly) combined are a golden amber, lavender, blue (R83 even though the rest of my stuff is Lee) and either a magenta or a red or perhaps another blue (cyan-ish).

Something else I sometimes do is have the first three colours the same (A,L,B) and vary the fourth colour throughout the rig, even going for L202 sometimes. So having the upstage bars with a red, midstage bars magenta, and downstage bars 202. A bit of variation but keeping the same base colours.

I've always found the problem with RGB in pars is, as stated above, that the green needs a lot of mixing to be usable and doesn't really work on its own. Red, Blue and Amber is often used instead but everything ends up as varying shades of pink if you're not very careful: certainly you'd also need some white because you're not going to be able to mix it.

My own personal choice to get the best of both worlds is R95 (scroll down this page to see it) - a very deep blue/green that mixes well with red and blue but doesn't look too bad on its own either.

It's all a personal thing - one man's fish is another man's poison, as they say in France.

I'd point out that you may well want different colours for front light to back light - I'd go for straw, red, blue and A.N. Other for the frontlight. I'd also do all in my power to get my hands on a recording of the band(s) that are going to play to work out exactly what variation on that theme it's going to be today - myspace is your friend for that one. Of course if it's a case of one headline band, who's music you're going to get the chance to know well then I'd be saying something on lines of "you're the LD, listen and be inspired", but I suspect it isn't.

A lot depends with the back light on what you in fact want to achieve. If it's a wash in which the movers will provide the interest then For I'd go for more saturated versions of the front light, with the straw replaced by a fourth colour. If it's beam work then generally colours that work with the wash colours makes sense e.g. blue wash (inc. blue backlight wash) with yellow beams can look quite nice. Also for back light I for one actually quite like a nice green, esp ally for darker, more gothic rock type stuff. In fact Green Congo back light / green beams is a look I quite like. Blue wash from all angles and make the movers do slow beams in open white is some what cliched but what the heck it looks nice for the token slow song. I realise your mole fays are probably doing the bulk of the blinding you need, but you can never have too many open white / L201 par cans ether.

In short just play with it.

Red (L106 or L046), Blue (L119 or L120 if you want it a bit deeper), Amber (021 - favourite one for overhead and in floor cans) & O/W (open or 201, 103 if your wanting a warmer o/w look).

These have been what I've put in bars of 4 for a lot of gigs where the cans are rigged as both back/overhead & front light..

Just seemed to give a nice variety of choice and mixing, while not as diverse as if I'd have gone with RGB & something else, still gave some interesting colours..

HTH,

Tom

Very basic rock 106/119/139/open

Indie classics 126/116/119/180

I find these quite unadventurous but they do the job. Sometimes you can't deny the bold power of the basic stuff. Putting 161 in place of O/W works beautifully with movers if you are using them. The 'indie' selection is more about compatibility which I find is always the real challenge with gel choice.

Hi All,

I know there are lots of topics suggesting the best colours to use with Bars of 6 cans. I am looking for suggestions of the best 4 choices for rock 'n' roll gigs, for an event where I am limited to bars of 4. I am considering a red, blue, green and magenta. Will also have a number of moving lights on the event, as well as Molefrays.

Thanks in advance.

Jamie

If you have movers go for red, green , blue, orange if no movers if no movers swap the orange for a CT blue.

Archived