tight spot

deranged-angel

Hi All,

I'm working at a University and the problem we have is that our profiles are source 4 juniors which I believe have a 25-50 degree beam angle.

This means that the tightest spot we can get with them is probably about 1.5- 2m in diameter in a rig 4.85m high and that's if it focused straight down which often looks really naff. When focused from the front it's even bigger and with a stage of about 8m wide, it doesn't look so good.

I wondered if anyone had any suggestions for a good profile that could get a nice tight spot?

I've used the acclaim profiles before and I quite liked those. I also liked the Patt 23's - they do say the old ones are the best!

Of course, I could just buy a load of the Iris's that you can change the diameter of. (Sorry for the complete lack of technical jargon there!)

All suggestions would be welcome!

Cheers

Em

Language is fine. Usually, the problem you have doesn't rally arise - sub 1K lanterns are normally in smaller venues and I've always found that they aren't wide enough. You have the opposite problem, and if you want to use the SFJs, then an iris is a pretty sensible option if you have them, as they are quite expensive. You'll lose a bit of light, of course, but still be brighter than a 23.

Hi Em,

Take a look at the main Source4 range. The interchangeable lens tubes offer a wide selection of beam angles including a 15-30 deg zoom and 5, 10, 14 and 19 degree fixed angles.

The Pacific range from Selecon is also modular with zoom lenses in 12/28 and 14/35 degree versions plus a range of fixed beam angles.

Remember also that using an Iris will result in reduced intensity of the beam.

Steve

Thanks Paul and Stevie for your replies.

I know it's a bit unusual - they're degree level students and, along with a red light and a strobe, they always want a couple of tight spots... sigh

I've used the main range of source 4's before actually, and the interchangeable lens is pretty good - obviously gives you a lot more variation and value for money. The pacifics are pretty heavy which is a problem for some of the students - we are working off Zarges and a lot of them hate going up the things at the best of times! However, they are a good lantern!

Thanks for the advice so far!!

Em

Get a Strand Cadenza 9/15 £50+VAT from used lighting. Is that tight enough?

And at 24kg it weighs over 3 times a normal S4 and over twice a S4 Jnr zoom. If they struggle with those they will brick it rigging a Cadenza.

And at 24kg it weighs over 3 times a normal S4 and over twice a S4 Jnr zoom. If they struggle with those they will brick it rigging a Cadenza.

Why do a theatre course then?

I'm working at a University...

I could just buy a load of the Iris's that you can change the diameter of....

If you are in a University then you will probably have access to a workshop. A simple alternative to expensive irises is to have a range of fixed aperture masks made up out of thin Al sheet and a decent workshop should have a reasonable selection of Qmax cutters. Just give them a gobo holder and get them to cut the holes centred on the same point.

I did this for years when I wanted V. tight spots from patt 23s - until Stage Elecs had a stack of irises on offer.

Actually, I believe that the original patt 23s came with a selection of beam reducing masks.

David

Why do a theatre course then?
Trunker, even I wouldn't rig a Cadenza from a Zarges - those things weigh half as much as my fiancee!

I've rigged a few Cantata 11/26s (12.6kg) off Zarges, and that was bad enough.

Have you ever tried picking up 24kg one handed, then manoeuvring it accurately?

Thanks all for your suggestions:

Ryote - Ummm...read up to the start of the topic, my first suggestion was to buy some Irises :)

As for them not wanting to climb ladders... the course they are doing is a drama and theatre studies course that has a 2 year module as part of the course. A lot of them do the 1st year basically to get some knowledge so that they have some idea of technical options when in a show situation. A lot of them are training to be drama teachers so want some sort of idea when they do shows in schools. The ones who are more keen then the the 2nd year 'advanced' year. Most of those students are confident with ladders etc.

Anyway, I think the idea of making some aperture plates is a good one and a good little task for the students too!

Cheers folks!

Em

[(Snip)I've rigged a few Cantata 11/26s (12.6kg) off Zarges, and that was bad enough.(Snip)

12.6kg? is that all? It seems like a damn site more when you are up there!!! I've done a few Cantata 11/26s before from a variety of less then ideal circumstances, and it certainly wasn't fun!!!

How about buying a bit of rope while you're at it? That way you can get someone on the ground to haul it up and lower it back down onto its clamps. Easy. :)

Aye, that is my preferred way of rigging lanterns! At the risk of teaching people to suck eggs, I feel that I should expand on Ike's post...

When lifting lanterns this way, remember that the downward force on the bar is at least double the weight of the lantern... And that is not including any dynamic forces etc.

At the risk of a thread hijack: (Please feel free to (re)move this bit!)

As an aside, when I am lifting lanterns this way, I tend to use a loop in the end of the rope, passed under the lantern yoke, and back round the hook clamp. although it is a secure means of lifting, it still means that I need to take the weight of the lantern to unhook the lifting rope... Does anyone have any better/easier ideas?

Jim

Archived