Which EQ?

tivoliproduction

My Venue has had some Phonic eq's for the last 9 years or so, it is time they were replaced with something that doesn't create humm and get excessively hot. any thoughts/ideas/suggestions?

was thinking of dbx, Yamaha etc. NOT Behringer, Phonic etc.

mods, if this has been covered before then please feel free to move it to the appropriate location.

Behringer eq have got to be the worst I've ever used

if your venue is used by visiting engineers then don't get yamaha, nearly every rider we get says "no yamaha eq" for about the same money you can get BSS opals or the purple Klark Teknik ones.

The new Klark Teknik DN370 are very nice but about twice the price

why do people not like Yamaha? I thought Yamaha was supposed to be really good these days... im no expert in audio, im a lampie!! its just another part of my job to make sure the PA system is behaving itself.

if by Yamaha we still mean the Q2031 (I have no idea if they do a newer better one) :

1. its a 2u box rather than a 3u that bss / kt use, so less travel on each fader so less fine control

2. when you alter a fader on a EQ it also affects other frequencies either adjacent or at the harmonics of that frequency, a quality EQ affects less other frequencies and by smaller amounts. the yamaha is very bad at this

3. there are a lot of old nackered yamaha eqs about, they have been making them since at least the mid 80s

4. for a number of years they were considered the budget range, before behringer etc there was KT and BSS at £1000+ per eq and Yamaha at £300ish per EQ and not much else

all in my opinion of course :)

why do people not like Yamaha? I thought Yamaha was supposed to be really good these days...

Because riders...and engineers' opinions...are often about 10 years behind the times and based on "something I once heard from a friend who had a friend who mixed for the 'Stones and had a bad experience with the Whizzysonics 2000 and will never use it again".

Personally, I have nothing against any of the present Yamaha EQs, but, if it was my money, I'd probably go for the "purple" Klark Techniks which, for the money, are as good as anything I've heard

Bob

we use

KT Dn's

XTA

BSS

DBx

Have to say I never here our sound crew complain if we are doing an install with an ok budget then we would normally fit Bss or DBX

Yamaha allways appears on the riders as a no no

Also heard some of the lads talking about Symmetrics EQ's not sure on price etc but they said they were good

Behringer eq have got to be the worst I've ever used

if your venue is used by visiting engineers then don't get yamaha, nearly every rider we get says "no yamaha eq" for about the same money you can get BSS opals or the purple Klark Teknik ones.

The new Klark Teknik DN370 are very nice but about twice the price

I recommend the super purple square one eq's, their super fantastic!

... if it was my money, I'd probably go for the "purple" Klark Techniks which, for the money, are as good as anything I've heard

Actually, I was a little disappointed when I tried out the Square One EQ. It didn't respond as well as a BSS Opal in my opinion. I would say the Opal was still a fantastic unit in the mid-price bracket.

At the top end, the XTA GQ600 is incredibly accurate - although it only offers +/-10db on each band rather than +/-15db on most other units.

As to Yamaha, their units used to be the bees knees but have been left way behind with no product development over the years.

Steve

... if it was my money, I'd probably go for the "purple" Klark Techniks which, for the money, are as good as anything I've heard

Actually, I was a little disappointed when I tried out the Square One EQ. It didn't respond as well as a BSS Opal in my opinion.

Different strokes for different folks, I mean we were using a pretty decent system that probably compensated for the square one's faults.

After much thought and consideration and input from other members of crew who have used the kit. I have decided to buy 1 DBX 2231 for my front of house EQ and 2 of the 1231's for monitors etc. thank you all for your thoughts and advice. it is very much appreciated.

Archived