Back To The 80's

schooltechie

hi all

I'm new here so please be nice :)

I have just been asked for some ideas of lighting for the school show this year back to the 80's its a new show based on 80's song hits :( . we have a quite small stage only 10m by 8m so more like 8m by 5m by the time things are there. any ideas anyone I would just assume bright light with lots of colours.

any thing welcome

alex

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Second the PARs, and I would think eighties colors: pink, yellow, turquoise, white.

Also, if you can get a hold of them: strobes. There's nothing quite like arena-rock, eighties hair and a good helping of strobes...

-w

afterthought: watch 80's movies that have either concerts, or 80's concert documentaries.

Some cheesy old "Top Of The Pops" pinspot-based effects (helicopters, harvesters, etc.) if you can get hold of them. No moving lights!
I know what you meant there, but you do realise your Freudian slip, don't you Gareth..... :) :( :D

I thought PAR's to be honest but I was also thinking wether cheesy disco efects would be any good here such as the

Martin EFX500

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa160/alexsp_2007/light.jpg

No moving lights!

but im not sure whether this classes as a moving light also this is very cheap to hire from stage LX.

also can that be run from a jester as that is all the school has.

sorry for all the questions but just trying to sort things out :)

For the price of hiring those EFX500s (which incidently dont look especially 80s IMO) you could buy some Pinspot scanners or even just standard spots new, or for that matter, even more if you look in the freeads or ebay.

I thought PAR's to be honest but I was also thinking wether cheesy disco efects would be any good
SOME cheesy disco effects, maybe.

Mirror balls are always a good, almost timeless effect!

Saturday night fever, whilst actually a seventies (1977) movie, used gear that spanned the 80's too - so a good bit of film research there!

Whereabouts are you based? Your profile (like so many others) is not up to date...

Maybe build some static effects using loads of birdies (cheap, low power, and so you can run many off a single channel, and chase them ad nauseam).

Also consider the sort of disco light boxes, with opaque plastic fronts and partitioned compartments inside to make 'pretty' patterns....

Course - none of this may be appropriate to the show.... :)

Plenty of parcans, etc. Lots of vivid colours. Some cheesy old "Top Of The Pops" pinspot-based effects (helicopters, harvesters, etc.) if you can get hold of them. No moving lights!

Queen used moving lights at Wembley in '86.

They used them on the whole tour, but they were an incredibly small part of it compared to the huge Par rig - ditto lots of other 80s tours (especially early ones). There weren't many bands doing effective rigs with moving lights, except for Genesis and Pink Floyd IMO... Look at some 80s Van Halen clips for more huge par rigs. Anyway, lots of 6 lamp bars maybe some ACL bars etc

thanks for replys

now for questions:

What do you have available to work with? Lanterns, Rigging, Power, Dimmers etc.

mainly lots of profiles and washes not sure what type as there ancient strand jobies but I can get hold of pars if need be. we also have 4 bars each with 12 sockets running 2 to a channel. and we have 4 strand dimmmers not sure what type but app quite good we use all sockets so no spare im affraid.

Whereabouts are you based? Your profile (like so many others) is not up to date...

im based in sunderland near newcastle upon tyne.

hope that answers peoples questions. we dont have a huge budget so cheap hire is a good thing which is mainly why I thought at £25 a week the martin EFX500 was a good deal as they could be hid on the bars and just used for the lighting effect.

Archived