Back To The 80's

schooltechie

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For the pedants .... no automated lighting ... sigh ... :)

No automated moving heads, maybe. :)

I was playing with moving mirrors at university gigs/discos at the tail end of the 80s - Pancans! I forget what flavour the computer was that we used to drive them with, I think it was one of the 'a's - an Acorn, an Apricot or an Amiga. The lighting desk at the time was a Zero88 Eclipse, with a selection of cartridges to stuff into the 'effects' module. Happy days.

I've used an Apple II to control Pancans in the 80s'.

But they could also be run from a, then normal, analogue desk as the mirror movement used the normal 0-10V for control. But you had to be careful with your presets or they would move during a cross-fade which is why they were often operated from a separate computer. I may even have the software somewhere on a 51/4 floppy.

That'll send a few youngsters to Wiki - Apple II, floppy? :unsure:

Re-reading this topic, is this production Rock, Pop, or a mixture of both?

I was just thinking-

Pop -

Mirror balls, scanners, pinspots, a few par cans, and some sound-to light type of unit ( And yes, police lights)

Rock -

Shedloads of Par cans, a few moving heads, strobes.

Just a thought, it may be a good idea to try to identify the musical 'genre' as there was a lot of different musical styles in that decade, and the lighting changed to suit the style.

The youth theatre company I do some work with did this show a few years ago in the Neptune Theatre in Liverpool city centre-

Pics here

As I recall it was a few lengths of trilite, 4 Mac 500s, 4 Mac 300s, a fair few of our parcans, a load of Pat 743's, and a 50ish centimeter mirror ball all controlled off a Pearl!

For those wondering, here is the songlist:

1. Wake Me Up Before You Go Go (Wham)

1. Kids in America (Kim Wilde)

2. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun (Cyndi Lauper)

4. Footloose (Kenny Loggins)

5. Mickey (Toni Basil)

6. Video Killed the Radio Star (The Buggles)

7. Glory of Love (Peter Cetera)

8 Let's Hear it for the Boy (Denice Williams)

9. I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) (The Proclaimers)

10. You Give Love A Bad Name (Bon Jovi)

11. Man in the Mirror (Michael Jackson)

12. We Are The World (USA for Africa)

13. Love Shack (The B-52s)

14. Total Eclipse of the Heart (Bonnie Tyler)

15. Nine To Five (Dolly Parton)

16. Walking on Sunshine (Katrina and the Waves)

17. Get Outta My Dreams (Get Into My Car) (Billy Ocean)

18. Centrefold (J Geils Band)

19. Lost In Your Eyes (Debbie Gibson)

20. Never Gonna Give You Up (Rick Astley)

19. Material Girl (Madonna)

20. Eye of the Tiger (Instrumental version)

21. Don't Worry, Be Happy / Come On Eileen (Bobby McFerrin / Dexy's Midnight Runners)

22. (I've Had) The Time of My Life (Bill Medley / Jennifer Warnes)

I've got to say, it's one of the most fun shows I have ever been involved in!

PS. Just found this site about the show

Update: Upon looking over the site I believe we did the Australia/New Zealand version before Josef Weinberger got hold of the rights over here- the song list for the now UK version is slightly different however it's still a fun show!

Edited to include link

Edited to include update

so arcline might be a bit out of range,

I doubt it,Arcline should be cheap to hire

It's £16.50 for a 1.8M tube, plus £22 for the controller for weekly hire from Stage LX (quoting their online hire catalogue). I suppose it all depends on how much you need to create the required effect, and for how long you need it.

Queen used moving lights at Wembley in '86.

Queen also had an enormous budget.....! I wouldn't imagine the OP has...

Yeah but someone said that there wasn't moving heads about in the 80's. I made a valid point with evidence that there was.

The youth theatre company I do some work with did this show a few years ago in the Neptune Theatre in Liverpool city centre-

I've got to say, it's one of the most fun shows I have ever been involved in!

That show looked like a good time, IRW. (I hear at least half of those songs at EVERY SINGLE wedding reception I attend...)

Thank you for posting the pix!

I have just been asked for some ideas of lighting for the school show this year back to the 80's its a new show based on 80's song hits :unsure: . we have a quite small stage only 10m by 8m so more like 8m by 5m by the time things are there. any ideas anyone I would just assume bright light with lots of colours.

Moderation: Just a reminder of the original question. How did we get on to lots of moving head, modern kit?

My recollections include lots of series PAR36 stuff! single and twin axis Harvesters, six lamp cubes. Oh! and a laser that was at 10ft and hundreds of mirrors round the room all at the same height forming a network of beams. - all level at 10ft

• 2 weeks later...

I have a late 70s reunion party coming up, with a disco. My plan is to use lots of parcans chasing on the dancefloor, and our in-house moving heads - but maybe keep them static or nearly static and use them like (expensive!) moonflowers - but I wanted a couple of authentic 80s effects.

Particularly, I'd like a coule of helicopters; does anyone know where I might find a couple to hire? (I'm in edinburgh). Other similar suggestions are welcome, basically I want something obviously 80s so they realise the rest of the rig is set up for their theme :)

I was thinking of going for a modern version of the DJ lightbox, too, using chromapanels (depending how expensive they prove to be), but I have a local supplier who stocks these.

Archived