Molefay Blinder

DSA

• 3 years later...

I agree with Gareth, TV/Film rental houses are probably the best shot. On the subject (ish) we worked on a series of shows with Travis during the summer, we supplied the overhead rig which was used by all the bands but Travis were also carrying their own floor rig which included some 'Dinos' which are film lights consisting of 24 PAR 64 lamps in each unit. These units had been modified so they ran on Socapex and each lamp was on it's own dimmer channel meaning you can create some excellent patterns.

These were supplied by one of the TV/Film companies but I'm having a mental block on which one it was.

http://www.travisonline.com/archive/pictures/109f1703f3181d0a2878d6bdfe5d1832.jpg

http://www.travisonline.com/archive/pictures/928d6a1a60acf960e43469a7a851de81.jpg

Pretty sure Gareth got it right with ELP. I swear I've seen these or something very similar down at their warehouse (new & old ones).

Chances are as with all these things, if your doing a gig where you'd actually be able to use these things, then the hire co where your getting all the other masses of gear from will know the place to get them from if they themselves don't have any.

It is more of a question to ask suppliers but I am guessing that is 7.8k on one cable.
:** laughs out loud **: That's why all the TV boys have racks of 8 or 10 KW dimmers in their inventory's!

Something very similar to those dino things could probably be knocked up quite easily with the aid of 4x bars of 6, a few 2m (ish) lengths of scaff and some cheese burgers. Then suitably flown via the use of some half couplers to eye's clamped onto suitable locations....

(Hmm, might have a go at trying that idea now ;))

Tom

Something very similar to those dino things could probably be knocked up quite easily with the aid of 4x bars of 6, a few 2m (ish) lengths of scaff and some cheese burgers. Then suitably flown via the use of some half couplers to eye's clamped onto suitable locations....

(Hmm, might have a go at trying that idea now ;))

I'd had a similar idea myself, not yet got round to trying it though.

I had the same idea. I was simply wondering the net looking at blinders (thinking about the rock show in march) and saw them and thought :P :** laughs out loud **: ;) It would look really cool to have a pair of them, for effect more than actual blinding. Remembering that I already have gone bonkers designing it.

I am looking at getting some showtech fay's now. Or at least a hire.

The Dino Lights that Travis we're using on the series of shows (which I was also working on!) that John has given pics of we're hired in from AFM Lighting (Who I have just noticed have merged with Lee Lighting and made Panalux). It was always quite entertaining trying to get them from there meatrack and put onto the stands and stood up!

Hope that relieves your mental block John!

Cheers

Dan

Regarding 'matrix' effects you can also get blinders with DMX control that switches the cells individually. Programming such effects is the hardest part!

Did a similar thing a while back using grids of pinspots. Wasn't hard to knock up a VB6 program to read through lines in a text file and control USB-DMX to turn on/off the pins in the required sequences. Much easier than trying to program it all onto a desk!

Archived