Trilite

lightingyoung

I am looking into buying a massive trilite square, where is the best place to buy from?
Can't help with suppliers, but have to put the usual caveat in about making sure you have the necessary training and experience to own and erect large trussing rigs, including how far you can load the sections.

I can't claim to be close to being an expert myself, so won't make any specific recommendations, but especially if you intend to fly the truss you need to have the relevent tickets, I'd say.

If you do have the training, then great - go ahead. But without I'd use caution .

Rigging guru Chris Higgs (member here) Wrote two books

ISBN: 1 904031 12 9

Title: An Introduction to Rigging in the Entertainment Industry

ISBN: 1 904031 21 8

Title: Rigging for Entertainment: Regulations and Practice

These will give you an insight into rigging safely, tho no experience.

Look in the BR Wiki for vendors of second user kit, call them all for price and availability.

NOT all three tube truss is Trilite.

er...... you are talking to someone who ordered trilite when he wanted Astralite - a very easy mistake to make when it's two in the morning and you are hunting the net! Still, as long as it doesn't have to actually mate with the old stuff..........

I would recommend astralite over trilite, trilite damages more easily than astralite as there is no supporting triangle at the end which can make putting it together a pain in the rear.

Of course, depending on the size of structure you're looking to build tri/astra might not be suitable

I am looking into buying a massive trilite square, where is the best place to buy from?

Cheers

If you are also open to AstraLite you could give Lite Strucures a ring, depending on how huge your square needs to be they often have ex-demo truss.

As to second hand truss.....mmmmmm, cheaper, but only woth the risk if it comes with evidence of an inspection by someone competent, say... the manfacturer.

snip!... you need to have the relevent tickets, I'd say.

Tickets? and which ones would those be? :unsure:

I do second the recomendation of the books, if you dont already own them ;)

Depends on what's going onto the truss!

10m is a pretty long unsupported span, and 5m is pretty high up.

Optikinetics provide some info about the maximum loadings on given span lengths - I'd suggest giving them a ring and asking their opinion.

I can definately understand why you'd want Trilite over over 3-tube truss, as the lack of endplates makes it a very nice looking truss - it's my favourite truss when the truss can be seen.

It does make it weaker though.

Wow - 10 x 7.5 with a centre span. 300mm truss is going to be a problem here. Mainly due to the joints. The lightweight truss always has some play in the joints where the spigots fitt and what will happen is the long unsupported lengths will appear to bend down, just under their own weight. Hanging anything useful on it isn't going to be good. For this size, you are going to have to jump up to bigger box type truss. If you call litestructures they are always good at working out things for you - tell them the size, and they will tell you which of their products will do it. For what it is worth Astralite 3 chord truss is ok up to 4m wide (using 2 x 2m sections). Add in an extra metre section and the sag increases quite a bit. The sag also causes the supports legs to have the tendency to want to move in at the tops. One other point is how you will put it up? Proper large section square truss can have corners that allow you to rig the truss at ground level and then raise it to working height - these systems are much, much more expensive.

You've moved outside of the homebrew design area here with something this big, so real advice tro stop you wasting your money is needed, but all the suppliers will help - it is what they do!

snip!... you need to have the relevent tickets, I'd say.

Tickets? and which ones would those be? :D

(I did say I'm not an expert)

When flying truss (which is what I was referring to) are there not safety certs required?

As it happens, the OP has clarified it's on legs (albeit a LOOOONG span....) but the question is still there...

Archived