Trilite

lightingyoung

MAjor dealers or manufacturers agents should be able and willing to take your requirements in terms of dimensions and loads, and give you a design using their products that will satisfy your needs and current best practise. With all trussing, assembling a rig is to be done carefully and you must find a method that suits the job, with the manpower available. Don't assume that a safely designed rig can be assembled without care and effort. - Similarly for dismantling follow the safe method using the safe number of people.

When flying truss (which is what I was referring to) are there not safety certs required?

If it's part of a lifting operation, then LOLER applies.

There's no certification scheme for riggers, although the voluntary PLASA scheme is coming along...

WRT to OP's question, getting this size of square to 5m is hard work. A system of this size uisng Litec manual wind up towers (up to6.5m height) and ~45m of Litec truss could cost around £14,000.

For those sort of spans box section in not essential, Slick LiteBeam2 for example would provide a much higher capacity whilst still being 3 chord truss. Although it would still be preferable to go to a decent box. The size of grid you want to build is not excessive, but it would be almost useless in something like AstraLite. What sort of things do you want to hang from it?

But frankly the fact that you need to be asking if this size grid can be built on 4 legs is a little worrying. Yes it can, however if you couldn't have worked that out by looking up the loading figures for some different types of truss (and I'm sorry if that sounds rude) you shouldn't be getting too involved. If all you are doing is buying the stuff then give some manufacturers or dealers a ring, they are very helpful and will be able to offer suggestions for suitable solutions based on your planned setup. But if you are planning on actually using it yourself then you should be budgeting for some proper training.

And yes, 5m high of that size will be very difficult to build and a self climbing system would be very kind to your back. (And the Litec stuff at that sort price is very reasonable, although I personally prefer things from a UK manufacturer like Total Fabs)

edit for my hopeless spelling

Archived