Purchasing a Truss System, Size Questions and Any Advice That Can Help

DominicC

I am planning to create a 16m x 16m x 10m Truss System without roofing.

Its parts consists of 520x520x3000 for both beam and pillars, I would get them with all Spigot connections.

I am planning to purchase (4) legs first and after the rental market demand is high enough, then comes the time to purchase bigger sizes and make my existing 520x520x3000 beams converted to pillars.

Any ideas or opinions? Is it a cost effective plan? Can 16m x 16m x 10m be supported by 520x520 size trusses? The load would be for various purposes for the rental industry mostly moving heads, mac700, mac2000 and generic par lighting. Maybe hang powered speakers on the beams also but it is really seldom.

The hoist I plan to get is 1Ton Motor Hoists only, is it alright if it is 1ton only? Thanks and hope to hear opinions from the helpfull people in this fantastic website forum.

What would you guys buy if u were me? ;) Thanks!

Hmmmmmmm........ ©

I too will suggest STRONGLY that you seek PROPER advice from a reputable supplier who can sell you a package that can be certified as being suitable for what you want to use it for - both now and in the future.

Making it up as you go along isn't the way to do things when you're talking of suspending heavy kit over the heads of cast and/or punters....!

Please draw your desired constructions, explain in writing what each structure will carry and develop into then talk to several manufacturers of truss.

You need to know that the system that is designed will take all of the loads you may want to impose on it, in all configurations, and in all likely weather, (is this indoor outdoor or both). You need to design the rigging so that it complies in spirit with LOLER and WAHr and so that the erected structure complies FULLY with all the regs and permissions.

Basically for each shape of structure you want you must be able to prove in advance that the assembly, use and dis-assembly can be safe and comply with HSAW.

Once you have firmed up the ideas run them by the engineers from the truss suppliers to confirm that the ideas translate to sound design, Then you talk money

All trussing comes under LOLER so a total set of documents is vital.

this is the sort of thing that wants walking round plasashow, but I guess you want business by september.

Hi Dominic,

At the risk of sounding negative, from your post, it sounds like you don't have much experience of working with truss systems. I wouldn't think it prudent to buy in a system to rent out without the experience and knowledge to use it correctly and safely. Have you been on a rigging course with one of the truss manufacturers? If not, this may be a good place to start and get some first hand knowledge. You also need to be up to speed on all the relevant H&S legislation appropriate to such structures. If I am making incorrect assumptions here then my apologies.

As another thought, it is useful to check what systems are used by other hire companies in your area as this will make sub-hires easier.

Steve

Please draw your desired constructions, explain in writing what each structure will carry and develop into then talk to several manufacturers of truss.

You need to know that the system that is designed will take all of the loads you may want to impose on it, in all configurations, and in all likely weather, (is this indoor outdoor or both). You need to design the rigging so that it complies in spirit with LOLER and WAHr and so that the erected structure complies FULLY with all the regs and permissions.

Basically for each shape of structure you want you must be able to prove in advance that the assembly, use and dis-assembly can be safe and comply with HSAW.

Once you have firmed up the ideas run them by the engineers from the truss suppliers to confirm that the ideas translate to sound design, Then you talk money

All trussing comes under LOLER so a total set of documents is vital.

this is the sort of thing that wants walking round plasashow, but I guess you want business by september.

Thank you very much for that wonderfull reply. July to be in business if possible. In your country are there plenty of rigging suppliers? Any ideas how do they operate, do they hire part time people and a foreman head engineer per event that they do? ANyway your post above is more than enough for my appreciation on your help.

Hi Dominic,

At the risk of sounding negative, from your post, it sounds like you don't have much experience of working with truss systems. I wouldn't think it prudent to buy in a system to rent out without the experience and knowledge to use it correctly and safely. Have you been on a rigging course with one of the truss manufacturers? If not, this may be a good place to start and get some first hand knowledge. You also need to be up to speed on all the relevant H&S legislation appropriate to such structures. If I am making incorrect assumptions here then my apologies.

As another thought, it is useful to check what systems are used by other hire companies in your area as this will make sub-hires easier.

Steve

No apologies needed. That is why I am posting here, seeking for advice from a start up's point of view. Bryson, Wow the picture of the truss and stage really is a sad thing to happen. I wonder if the truss supplier got in jail for this. I am from the Philippines. The branded trusses used in our country is Prolyte, then next are China made ones then some are locally aluminum manufactured.

Cool. I don't know a lot about Filipino or Chinese brands, sadly (I do know quite a lot of Filipino crew, mind :o) but I have done some project work with Prolyte, so if they have a local dealer, speak to them - they'll be able to help you out.

It's the planning you put in now and the discussions with your suppliers that prevent you having incidents like that. You design it to be safe, using adequate safety factors. You rig according to the designs, with skilled people.

Safety is thought into the plan, designed into the engineering drawings, and built into the final assembly. Read some guides to UK LOLER and WAH law unless your legislature has it's own codes or laws. They show how UK rigging should be safely accomplished, and "safe" is the same world over.

Archived