Strain relief on headset mic cable

bigglesuk

Hi, our Countryman mic recently stopped working so I opened up the connector which plugs into the radio pack (3.5mm mini-jack) and found that the cable had snapped inside the connector. In order to strip it back and re-solder I had to remove lots of sleeving.

I'm not sure if the sleeving was heat shrink or not. It seemed very flexible and stretchy, though I had to cut it to get it off. Before I re-solder the cable I will need to replace what was on there. It seemed as though there were 3/4 layers. The first made the cable about 5mm in diameter (original cable size about 2mm) and then several layers until the diameter became about 10/12mm.

Anyone have any suggestions? I would buy a replacement cable, but they are rather expensive compared to a repair.

Thanks,

Adam

I'm quite a fan of Hellerman sleeving but only usually use it inside a connector.

For strain relief I usually just use PVC insulation tape wrapped with care.

Occasionally I decide that some self amalgamating tape would be better, usually when I think waterproofing is important as I can then take it over the top of the connector as well as under the clamp. These connectors are then almost impossible to take apart!

Also

but be careful with the heat gun on such thin cable ...

This is very true! Been there, done that. :D

I've just remembered the nickname that we used to have, in the well-known consumer electronics company that I used to work for many moons ago, for the tool that's used to apply Hellerman sleeving. The "Virgin-Urger". Anyone who's used one will know why. :D

I've just remembered the nickname that we used to have, in the well-known consumer electronics company that I used to work for many moons ago, for the tool that's used to apply Hellerman sleeving. The "Virgin-Urger". Anyone who's used one will know why. :D

Having been building multicore cables all day, I know exactly what you mean by that. Sadly it also means the last one will take twice as long as it should because my mind will be wondering.

Glyn

Maybe strain relief wasn't the right term to use. The first (thinest) layer allows the cable grip on the 3.5mm plug to grip onto the cable. If it didn't have this layer then there would be nothing to stop anyone pulling the cable out by breaking the solder points with some misuse.

Saying that, that is what happened! Though we are very careful with the mic cable so I'd hate to think how often these cables get broken with Joe Bloggs users....

I think I'll try get someone else to fix it, maybe something VDC can do.

Cheers for your help guys.

Adam

As everyone else (including me) says, it'll be hellerine. It's the sort of stuff that you'll find in a good old-fashioned electronics workshop. Generally a drawer full of it, packed away in little old RS brown cardboard boxes, guarded by an old grey-haired bearded chap in a brown overcoat, who served his time as a TV repair engineer back in the days when it involved more than swapping boards, and who doesn't like these new-fangled soldering stations with fume extraction....

Find one of these guys, give him a few bottles of Brown Ale, and your problem will be solved.

Archived