USB to serial connection for a Soundweb

Stuart91

We've been using a BSS Soundweb (9088) for the last few months. We've got another on the way, so I figure it's time to try and sort out a proper connection for it.

The laptops we have been using have only USB ports, no old style serial port. We managed to get the first Soundweb working using a USB adaptor, but outputs to the wrong sex and pinning and we only managed to get it working using a spiders web of adaptor cables.

New Soundweb arriving so we need to buy another USB to serial interface, I was wondering if anyone out there knew of one which would go straight into the Soundweb without any adaptors? Bonus points if you can point me to a CPC or RS part no. :)

Morning,

I gave up with USB to RS232 adapters, I now use a Moxa box. can be bought from Amplicon down in brighton - google them if you are interested.

Basically it converts RS232 to IP, so plug it into the network card on your laptop, or a wifi router and use wireless to control the unit. very neat and clever option. about £120 all in, but long term a great option, I have fitted a few on installs that run 24/7 and they are still going strong and dont drop out.

MK

Disclaimer: never used a soundweb...

However, as part of my day job, I regularly have to connect to serial ports on various pieces of c0mputing and comms equipment, all of which use different conventions for gender and pin-out.

I find the easiest way to do it is to use a generic USB-to-serial adaptor - I use the CPC CS09489 at about 16 pounds, which gives a 9-pin male output.

http://cpc.farnell.com/productimages/cpc/standard/8676587.jpg

I then combine that with a rewireable 9 to 9 adapter - either female-male or female-female, with the internal jumpers set for each type of device - something like the CN04531/2/3 at 1.47 each.

http://cpc.farnell.com/productimages/cpc/standard/CN0453106-40.jpg

So I have 1 converter, and a bag of plug-in adapters, one labeled C1sco, one labeled HP, one labeled Sun, one labelled 3C0m, one labeled F0undry etc.

I certainly like the wireless idea, but might wait a while before investing in it. It would certainly be great for tuning larger systems and sorting delays out.

I like Bruce's idea too (although I'm not looking forward to soldering those adaptors). However I'm curious if anyone knows of a USB to serial adaptor which is wired the correct way for a Soundweb straight out of the box? One less adaptor to loose is always a good thing...

...(although I'm not looking forward to soldering those adaptors)...

Ah, but that's the nice thing about them - you don't need to. They supply the wires with pre-crimped pins on them, simply push into place.

You don't solder the adaptors. The kit has a "shell" and 2 9-pin plastic inserts, with holes in them. It also has a bunch of pre-terminated wires, with the pins already crimped on. You just push the wires into the appropriate holes, they lock in place, and then you screw the cover down.

The laptops we have been using have only USB ports, no old style serial port. We managed to get the first Soundweb working using a USB adaptor, but outputs to the wrong sex and pinning and we only managed to get it working using a spiders web of adaptor cables.

Not sure about the Soundweb but I know the BSS Omindrives require a null-modem cable rather than a straight RS-232 cable, that would explain why the connector is the wrong sex and you needed a load of adapters. If you use the USB to RS-232 adapter then a null-modem cable I would suspect it will work first time. Essentially a null-modem cable has some of the connections crossed between the end's but can't remember which ones.

EDIT: A quick google brought up this pin configuration for a 9-pin to 9-pin null modem lead

Pins

1-4

2-3

3-2

4-6

5-5

6-4

7-8

8-7

Can't guarantee that's correct though, in the past I've just ordered the cable from the likes of CPC, RS etc.

I like Bruce's idea too (although I'm not looking forward to soldering those adaptors). However I'm curious if anyone knows of a USB to serial adaptor which is wired the correct way for a Soundweb straight out of the box? One less adaptor to loose is always a good thing...

In my humble opinion soldering is an essential skill for a sound engineer. It is also a fact of life that serial cables are always wrong for the particular application you need them for that day so I seem to be continually making serial cables for different bits of gear. USB to serial convertors are almost always designed to emulate a serial port that would have fitted to a computer so they will always have the same pinout and gender. You will either have to buy or make a null modem adaptor. However, you can often get away with just connecting pin 5 to pin 5, pin 2 to pin 3 and pin 3 to pin2 as most gear will ignore the other pins.

Cheers

James.

In my humble opinion soldering is an essential skill for a sound engineer.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with soldering in general. However I do not have fond memories of the last time I tried to solder a DB7 connector - I remember spending most of my time trying to stop blobs of solder shorting the buckets together. I might make a better job of it now (with an extra eight years of soldering experience under my belt!) but I was still very pleased to be told that there are push connections rather than solder buckets on these adaptors.

Point taken on the serial connections though. I was hoping to avoid having any adaptors at all, just the USB dongle, but it looks like I'll need something extra. Thanks to everyone who's had suggestions though. :)

Which is exactly the problem you would have had if you'd found the lead you were looking for.

I was hoping to avoid having any adaptors at all, just the USB dongle, but it looks like I'll need something extra.

:rolleyes:

Hi we have have used these adapters (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29968&criteria=USB%20&doy=29m1) with new laptops for two years with sound web with no trouble so far. The only other effective way that I have seen of coverting to serial is as previously suggested with a moxa serial server.

Regards

Matthew

Good idea, although it's guaranteed that ten minutes after I smother it in tape, I'll need to attach a different adaptor for something else... :rolleyes:

Or, possibly more practically, permanently attach one of the 9-pin adaptors to every device you need to manage.

Archived