Patt 45 lamps

timtheenchanteruk

Ive been looking, and I cant find the answer, but maybe its just me.

in a hall I'm working in we have 4 patt 45s, amongst other ancient lighting. and we need to replace the lamps in 2, I cant find anyone to supply the old huge globe type lamps, so a supplier would be great, also can you upgrade these fixtures to newer type lamps, I'm thinking yes, but cant find them.

any help gratefully received

As David says, you can use a halogen T17 lamp, which has the same P28 base as the T1 that you probably have.

Unless one has been retrofitted, there is no reflector - so covering the inside of the "back door" with tinfoil can improve the light output somewhat.

More details here

Regards,

Marc

Can you upgrade...?

Maybe the answer is - why bother. Patt 45 is generally accepted as next to useless. It might be beneficial to upgrade to some more recent 500w Fresnels. Quite a few secondhand units around from about £50. Obviouly you may need a little more budget for this...

Steve

unfortunatly, we have at the moment about zero budget, and the rig is made up of what is generally regarded as rubbish lanterns, we have 4 Patt 45s, 4 Patt23, I think, about 20 of the old tin box flood things, and another 5 patts that I cant remember the No of. all controlled by 2 strand Mini II portable racks, and a tempus desk.

At the moment we are trying to fund-raise for this purpose, but at the moment we need to keep working what we have.

I don't think the hall has seen any new lighting equipment since it was built in the 60s/70s all bar the desk.

The T1 has a tungsten filament so they will blacken the side of the glass during normal usage which reduces the light output. Use a tungsten halogen lamp such as the T17 for a brighter output. Unfortunately as there is no reflector, most of the light stays inside and is dissipated as heat.

The Patt23 are still useful profiles and the Patt60 if large 500 watt or Patt137 if 200 watt floods will allow you to use colours until you can afford replacements. If you take the reflectors out of the floods so the lamp becomes a point source of light, you can add gobos and split gels for Forest floor effects etc.

Have a look in the Strand link that MarcT has provided to get details of what you have.

I can't imagine it would damage the optics, and you may get a bit more light out of it. However, I would be very wary about doing it, a Pattern 45 lantern gives off more heat and less light then your average electric fire... I'm not sure how the paint you used would stand up to these temperatures...

Jim

This reply uses my memory, but I think is still valid.

When I was at school, (I left in 1975!) we had Patt.45s in the school hall. As everyone says, light output was pretty dismal, and I pulled on to pieces in the science class to have a look. The metalwork teacher and science teacher knew little about lighting - I suspect I didn't now much more, but we experimented with the reflectors from the Patt.123s we also had. The spherical reflector did improve light output, but not as much as expected - mainly, I now realise because the lense itself is small, so the reflected light was still being wasted. The lamps, old T1s then of course, also suffered from lower lifespan - probably overheating. The metalwork teacher painted the inside of one with aluminium crankcase paint. The results were not good. Light output went up a bit, I seem to remember, but the beam spread has less effect as the beam was very poorly defined.

I suspect that Strand never really improved the damn things at all, and once the 123 established itself so well, simply gave up on the 45 which was by design, a poor lantern.

I suspect that Strand never really improved the damn things at all, and once the 123 established itself so well, simply gave up on the 45 which was by design, a poor lantern.
Huh??

The patt 23's are listed on strand archive as being produced from 1953, so I'd assume the 123's were of the same vintage (no dates listed for them). The patt 45's, however, appear to be from circa 1963....

There's no firm data that I can see on the web site, but I'd have put money on the 123's being older than the 45's....

I always felt that despite the fact that the 23/123 range etc were still in production til 1983, things like the patt 45 were a later, budget option lantern. I recall my father buying 3 of the 'new' green versions of P45 for the local am-dram group in the late 70's and cursing the day he did - they hung in our garage for years, and hardly got used.

Only slightly better than the 45's were the 803/833's - at least they had a slightly better reflector. A local school bought some in the early 80's.

Archived