Invoices?

voodooman

Hi there peps.

Just a quick question, what do people use to create invoices? I've been using an excel work sheet which is fine for printing and sending, but I'd like to e-mail them where possible, and although I can protect the worksheet I think it just looks a little naff when opened. also something that figures out what the date is 28 days later automatically would be great.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup. In my days doing freelance consulting I'd just use Word, with the Excel calculations of the amount embedded in the right spot.

I never had to send so many that I didn't have the date to chase in mind...

Bob

Excel, then the built in ability of a Mac to save as a PDF for all the quoting etc. Invoices are done on Sage.
For Windows, a good alternative is to use Cute PDF (from www.cutepdf.com) - free to use. I try to pdf most documents that I need to email that don't need to be changed by the recipient nowadays. For *nix, look at Ghostscript and the ps2pdf converters and filters.

HTH

I use Filemaker Pro for invoicing as well as creating bid forms and patch sheets. it is easy to organise data however you want, as well as do complex calculations and sorts. It's not free, but it's not expensive either. It runs on MacOS or Windows, and will import or export to Excel. It is easy to create custom forms, and to auto enter or lookup data.

Mac

I had a good hunt around for a decent invoicing creation & tracking program, tried out quite a few of them. The one I settled on is www.invoice2go.com -- loads of features, very easy to use. Lets you create lists of common clients, fees/services and rates.. Reasonably priced too, when you consider the exchange rate is about $2 to the £ at the moment :huh:

There ain't nothing wrong with Excel for invoices. Did me for many years. You can protect all the cells that will never change - e.g. your details, bank details, etc and you can also get clever with the formula for all the figure work and protect all those cells too.

For dates, the DATE() function returns that current date and DATE()+28, the date 28 days from now. If you already have date in a cell e.g. A2 then you can reference that to get the date 28 days from that as =A2+28. If you get any funny numbers just re-format the cell as a date format.

HTH

Steve

If you are using Excel and doing any fractional multiplying (eg VAT), just make sure you use the round function, rather than using cell formatting to only display two figures. It looks the same on the screen, but with formatting the extra digits beyond what you are not displaying will feature in any dependent fomulas, so your subtotal + VAT = grand total can be a penny out...

Me - I use a triplicate NCR invoce book.

Archived