Invoices?

voodooman

Mine come off the database bit of a combined office package (Clarisworks 4) running on an ancient Mac. I really need to do something about that, I'll be migrating to Openoffice on a less ancient (Linux) PC sometime soon I think.

Something worth mentioning:

An email is no more secure than a postcard - it is generally a bad idea to email anything in plain text that you wouldn't be happy to post without an envelope. I find more and more companies wanting bank details, NI and tax numbers and other information on invoices, and I read in the newspapers that 'identity theft' is a growing problem - so please don't email invoices with sensitive information on them unless you're using strong encryption (PGP, GPG etc.)

Sean

x

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is still one person who regularly works for me that still sends in hand written invoices. They are on 4" x 5" pieces of paper with a number printed in the top right corner, everything else is by hand. In some ways it is quite nice in a Dickensian kind of way but they are the ideal size pieces of paper to loose as they are so much smaller than all the A4 invoices.

My favourite 'invoices' are from a little old lady who occasionally hand knits for me. She doesn't send in invoices at all just a tasteful note enquiring about my health and mentioning in passing how much she would like to be paid.

I definitely would use excel makes life incredibly easy adding everything up. But as soon as I email anything be it a word document, spreadsheet etc I use primopdf:

http://www.primopdf.com/

incredibly easy to use, installation is quick and when you want to use it, just go to print, select primopdf as the printer and it brings up a window asking where you want to save it. I find this makes things look a lot more professional.

A second vote for Filemaker. Won't necessarily be the right choice for everyone, but over the years we have gradually developed our database to do invoicing, track hires, and handle promotional mailshots etc. The big advantage is that you are able to customise almost every aspect to suit your needs, the drawback is that you need to learn how to do it! Although the learning curve isn't that steep.

I seem to be in the excel then print to pdf category - the pdf print driver is from http://www.software995.com/ you have to put up with adverts on screen but its not too intrusive and it's really easy to use.

Thanks for the tip on identity theft by the way - I'll be taking my BACS details off emailed invoices from now.

• 1 year later...

A quick plea...

When you're sending out invoices, PLEASE send them on A4 pieces of paper, the finance department will thank you for it, and if you find yourself working for a large organisation who have a seperate accounts payable department, the invoice is less likely to get lost.

I know of one design company who invoice on paper 21cm squared, sure it stands out, but half the time the invoices disappear at the scanning room because they aren't a standard size...

I use a program called Invoice 2 go. It is very easy to understand with a WYSIWYG layout of your invoices. No forms to fill in when creating invoices, you just type straight onto the template.

It includes useful features such as automatically inputting the due date for you, and warning you when invoices are overdue. I also like the report function as well as it proves very useful come self assessment time.

Frazer

Depends exactly what you are invoicing for but I currently use the rental desk nx software and that produces invoices. Its more usefull for kit than people but you could probably just build the people into it with rates etc.

I set up all mine in Excel its very simple I have a drop down list of customers/clients then on sellection it adds all the address details. I choose payment terms from a list and it works out the date due it works out line totals and vat for me and puts the info automatically into a spread sheet telling me how many days till due changes red when overdue and has all the details, took all of about 30 mins to set up with the formula and best of all its free and I can customise in any way I want

Archived