Rock Concert Lighting

DSA

hm, from looking at the size of the venue, I would recommend, leaving the hazer on all nite, and turning it on at least 20 minutes, before curtain. The neutron, does take a little time to curculate, and interference from exstraction, will take it longer to fill a venue.

Can I just point out also, that being a neutron owner, you MUST stick to the shut down procedure, to prevent damage to the machine.

The neutron, has a self cleaning function, and after every time you switch the haze on/off, switch off, it will run through this procedure, and will carry on to produce haze, for about a minute after switching it off. YOU MUST NOT, in any cercumstances, switch off the MAINS supply switch off UNTIL the unit is fully cleaned, this is indicated by, an red LED on the back of the machine, when you turn the haze switch on and the machine starts to produce haze, the LED will flash, when you turn the haze switch off the LED will continue to flash, when the LED has stoped flashing, you may, AND ONLY THEN switch off the mains power, and the power on/off switch off.

sorry to rave on, but it is important.

vince

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi

if you take a look at www.ussu.co.uk and go to the events page there are a few pics of shows that we have done, we put live gigs on every other week and are geared up for it.

I suggest that you pair the lamps up across the stage going towards the centre and then you can easily get away with 24 channels - the majority of rigs that you see on the pages at ussu are using 28 channels.

with a bit of luck you should be able to see a pic of a similar show I did last year in my old venue that was equipped with similar kit but I obtained two minimacs with an mc1 control and left them to themselves.

nope no luck, will try again tomorrow.

all the best

andrew

I would say use scanners for your first show easy to pick for a first timer. Also to be honest there alot faster for rock nights/ Dance nights.

Also #350 is a good price for a pa. we usal pay about 600-1500 for a pa system its usal d & B or L acoustucs mind you.

Be careful with your pyros as the bigger they are the furthur you need to be clear from them !!!

Baz :rolleyes:

Yeah, last year the company had 4 L'acoustics arcs with the accompanying L'acstics Sub. I think it was a midas desk....but this is tending off topic, sorry!

In all fairness I think 350 is a good figure, and I doubt we'll get it any lower.

David

Sorry "Djbarryblue" whilst the words you used in isolation all make perfect sense to me I regret to announce that I am non the wiser for reading them consecutively in context.

In other words.

Any chance you could repeat your comment in English?

Cheers

James

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks,

Got some quotes now....

One company offered (for PA) £480 (after 'double' reduction), whereas another (same as last year) offered £175 - thats the system (using l'acoustics arcs etc.), crew and van etc.!!!

Thought you might like to hear that - I still cant quite believe it myself (I'll wait for the piece of paper I think!)

They also offered good lighting prices. It sounds like I will go for 2 standalone scanners by the drums, and a 4 cell blinder for the audience. I will hopefully also get 2 bars of 6 parcans. They all think that schools own smoke machine will do the job.

Alternatively one company offered a package of 4 scan heads, stands, cables and a little controller for £50 - not sure about that yet!

(I was also offered 2 mac250s with a fat frog for £80 - not bad, but a little out of our budet!)

Thanks,

David

• 2 weeks later...

I know that there have been a LOT of posts recently regarding this sort of thing - however, perhaps someone could help me 'finalise my mind' with this show - just ignore if you are bored with this sort of thing - sorry!!!

OK, so it looks like we will be going with USS for the PA at £175.

The lighting is where there needs to be a lot of thought.

I have been quoted for 2 bars of 4 parcans with 4 floor cans. First what colours should I ask to be put in them - I know like Red and Blue etc. but I need to know the Lee numbers - we have a book at school, but they look so different when under a light, I wondered if there were some 'Industry Standard' ones????

A problem is caused by the way I need to power it all - to save 'wasting' on above stage sockets, I plan to take socapex from each bar, round to our FOH perches (one soca each side, and then spider it out). There are 3 sockets on each perch, so I will grelco 2 together and TRS xtension them into the sockets, which then goes into our normal installation.

Naturally, this means that on each 'parbar', there will only be 3 channels - how do you suggest I wire it up - obviously 2 lights will have to be at same level on same channel, if you see what I mean.

Next, how high, and where, should I put the lighting stands? I believe they go up to 11-12 foot. Do I put them up all the way?

Where should the floor cans be placed...? - presumably at front of stage, but where?

I will get a leMaitre Neutron hazer, and will place it under the drum riser - is this the 'best' place?

We also have one Black (UV) light tube - but it needs a 'fixture' ie strip light 'holder'. Is it worth me bothering to finding one, or would it not make much difference? Where should that go? Would it work from top of stage? and can it be 'dimmed' ie put through lx desk?

Finally, I am also hiring a 4-cell Molefay blinder, where should I rig this for best effect? - a drop clamp off front lx bar? or lx stand?

I know that there is a lot to be thought about, ie Im thinking about it now for an April show!

Thanks in advance,

David

First what colours should I ask to be put in them - I know like Red and Blue etc. but I need to know the Lee numbers - we have a book at school, but they look so different when under a light, I wondered if there were some 'Industry Standard' ones????

This could be because your looking at the gel using a light source that doesn't output at the same colour temperature as a normal theatrical lamp (between 2900ºk and 3200ºk) - So if your looking through the gel using a florrie tube, then the colour will look different.

Try looking through a source that matches a theatrical lamp to give a better idea - if needs be put a lantern on in your space and hold the gel up in the air (in the direction of the lantern of course) and look through - this'll give you a better idea of the colours and how they'll look on stage.

HTH

Stu

(PS. I'll mull the other points over tea)

First what colours should I ask to be put in them

Personal favourites are...

182 - Light Red

118 - Light Blue

116 - Cyan

105 - Orange

128 - Bright Pink (a bit extreme)

202 - 1/2 CT bLue

139 - Primary Green

obviously 2 lights will have to be at same level on same channel

If you're stuck with this then fan out the 2 lanterns to give a broad cover.

how high, and where, should I put the lighting stands

With only two stands, somewhere near the front of the stage at the side with the lanterns pointing on-stage, as high as safe.

Where should the floor cans be placed

2 at the front side of the stage pointing backwards, 2 at the back pointing forwards.

Neutron hazer, and will place it under the drum riser - is this the 'best' place?

As good as anywhere else as long as you can get to it should you need to.

We also have one Black (UV) light tube - but it needs a 'fixture' ie strip light 'holder'. Is it worth me bothering to finding one, or would it not make much difference?

Probably not.

can it be 'dimmed' ie put through lx desk?

No

4-cell Molefay blinder, where should I rig this for best effect? - a drop clamp off front lx bar?

Yes, centre stage at front edge of stage, not too far back or it will light up the band and spoil the effect.

Just remembered...one band member spoke to me today to see if visalisation projections would be possible onto cyc. I see no reason why not, however would that affect the lighting? and I suppose that will also affect the positioning of the lx stands.

Also would a Followspot add much at all to the event, or is it not worth the hire fee? Another band member is set on one - I really dont know why...

David

Well a followspot is going to set you back £50ish for a weeks hire - I know I'd rather hire extra cans than a f/spot...

As for my particular favourite gels

L180 - Dark Lavender

L181 - Congo Blue

L795 - Magical Magenta

L202/3 - ½ / ¼ CTC Blue

L106 - Medium Red

L119 - Dark Blue

L105 - Orange

Might help the decision process for you

Stu

Archived