Rock Concert Lighting

DSA

Ill take my Tape Measure to school tomorrow to give you full dimensions!

I will also note our stock.

By the way, whats a 'baffle'

We do have some small PCs and Fresnels that can be used onstage, and about 20 Profiles I think (although most on FOH bars, so need tallescope out if I want to get them down - more hassle, just for one night) - they may be OK in their current positions (straw gel, no gobos)

Power/Dimmer wise - we have 4 Betapacks (original, no DMX) fed from 4 32A single phase feeds, and a z88 Sirius 24 Desk

By the way can one use the DMX o/p and analogue o/p at the same time?? (say to run these 4 dimmers, plus 2 movers?)

I have no DMX cabling

It would be best if I could take some photos for you - if I get round to it!

David

P.S. All bars are fixed. We do have a cyc, which is currently rigged with 3 colours (red, green, blue I think). I also know there is a 'curtain' thing 'hiding' lights to audience, which would have to be lifted up if lights to go on middle rail...

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

use mic cabling, if cannot get DMX cabling bundled

disclaimer: I am only advising this for a onetime thing, would always endorse use of 'the proper stuff'

we also have on of those annoyingly unaccessible foh bars

if you can get a big stick with hook on the, end you can do small changes with that (like window opener/closer)

sounds similar to my school

is the foh (if iwb) wired in pairs, starting from furthest left and furthest right kinda thing?

I see you have three phase outlets, ours is hardwired to dimmers (ah, the wonder of furse installation ;))

No they're 32A single phase.

Anyway just looking at CSS's site - do people know what this is - is it any good?

'ADJ Sonic Beam 250w 240V lamp 8 Rich Colour / gobo combinations plus white.1 quadra-colour effect, smooth stepper motors, 4 DMX channels Strobes in every combination' (£15/Day)

Also on page here there is all sorts of stuff - what about a couple of floor pars? would they work? blinders at £10 seem a bit much...I dont know.

But £30for a bar of 6 Par 64 cans - could I just hook that onto our current bar? (would that be socapex? - in which case I would need a spider!)

Looks good, and hazer only £20 - do I need a 'le Maitre Neutron XS' or a 'HydraHaze Junior' (second is £10)

David

P.S. Only Cyc br is wired oddly, rest are all single circuits (Cyc has end of one bar on same circuit as beggining of next bar (bars are joined at centre), so you have to plan carefully when plugging in diff. colours!!

if you have never used intelligent before why dont you just hire a couple of scans, e.g colourscans, and set them on the DIP address you want and have them as stand alone around your stage or just have them on your bars and run an extension lead down to the operating area and just switch them on from a socket. Worked fine for one of our gigs. No DMX setup of cables are required if you do it this way unless you are linking more than 1 together.

jon

Looks good, and hazer only £20 - do I need a 'le Maitre Neutron XS' or a 'HydraHaze Junior' (second is £10)

although you haven't given the dimensions of your space, I'd highly recommend the Neutron XS - its a great 'always on' mister which in my experience delievers a lovely light balanced mist and beams look amazing through it. I've used in on a couple of shows before now and am only not using it now as we recently bought a Jem StageHazer as it is more versatile!

hope you can find some more [cheap] stuff!

We do have some small PCs and Fresnels that can be used onstage, and about 20 Profiles I think (although most on FOH bars, so need tallescope out if I want to get them down - more hassle, just for one night) - they may be OK in their current positions (straw gel, no gobos)

Well your PCs and Fresnels could do the fans, beam effects etc, pickups, and if you did manage to get hold of some Par 64s they could do a backlight colour wash - then use the FOH profiles for face light if you need it, and whatever spare Profiles you've got used for breakup gobo wash above the stage - would certainly look good if you let your imagination run wild! ;)

I also know there is a 'curtain' thing 'hiding' lights to audience, which would have to be lifted up if lights to go on middle rail...

A border, in case you wondered

Stu

Thats just wrong. No two ways of going about it. DMX cabling uses completely different cable to that of Microphones. For starters, the DMX protocol defines 5 pin XLR as its connector, not 3pin. True, some DMX equipment uses 3pin but (with the exception of the Martin Mac 250 to 600 range) this is limited to cheap disco equipment. Using Mic cabling for DMX can lead to problems. Don't do it. Thats really all there is to say on the matter.

Using Mic cabling for DMX can lead to problems. Don't do it. Thats really all there is to say on the matter.

With all due respect Peter, on the odd occasion I've had to use Mic cable as bog standard 3 pin DMX cable, I've never had any problems... Yes, it's not an ideal solution to running out of proper stuff / not having it in the first place, but it does work, and it does get you out of the #####.

Stu

I was under the impression that the DMX standard required an XLR5 therefore if it doesn't have XLR5s' then it isn't DMX, It might be 100% compatable with adapters but it can't be called DMX without XLR5's...

James

Archived