Haunted House

Mr Brightside

Hi Folks

I am relatively new to the forum, so please don't flame me if I have put this in the wrong place!

A freind of mine and his wife are wanting to hold a Halloween party and have asked me for help in rigging and dressing the house.

They are planning on re-decorating in the near future so some painting can be used but they don't want to really start knocking the place to bits.

They want it to be really quite scary, and not the usual tacky orange pumkins and stuff you would pick up at Asda and the like.

They have also come up with the idea of getting some dry ice in a trough at the top of the stairs so that it will flow down!!

Budget is somewhat limited and I'm after ideas really.

I really want to try and source some of those flickering flame effect lightbukbs but they seem very ellusive, any ideas?

Cheers

Ian

They have also come up with the idea of getting some dry ice in a trough at the top of the stairs so that it will flow down!!

You might want to check with someone who has more experience of dry ice than me, but without proper ventilation, that sounds to me like it could be extremely dangerous (depending on quantity - which I'd guess would be quite sizeable based on the effect they're looking for).

And it'd cost a fortune. Beg / borrow / steal / hire a smoke machine if you want it to run for any real amount of time. Pipe it though something cold and you have a much safer and cheaper solution.

The other thing I've used a lot at house parties (though your profile makes me wonder if you'll be able to borrow them cheaply - it helps to work some where that that has them!) is abbys (however you spell it) water effect lights up lighting the walls.

Coloured bulbs from people the B+Q are all good as well. Decor makes the biggest difference though - maybe a "scary" picture on the wall (think big) and a desk lamp with a red bulb in it under it pointing up at it.

I really want to try and source some of those flickering flame effect lightbukbs but they seem very ellusive, any ideas?

Cheers

Ian

Think you mean flicker flame candles, easy to find when you know what your looking for ;-) :

http://www.bltdirect.co.uk/cat178_1.htm

Whilst your shopping 25W blacklight;

http://www.bltdirect.co.uk/cat51_1.htm

No connection to retailer, just example of product and prices.

Some further reading:

http://wolfstone.halloweenhost.com/Welcome/Home.html

Cheers for all your help so far!

Whilst on the subject anyone ever successfully made a Jacobs Ladder?

MB

Not really a Jacobs Ladder, but a friend of mine used to make all sorts of unusual objects.

I can remember one device which was a ball coated in foil, and a nail was used for the other electrode.

I think the voltage was about 25-30 Kv, and the spark gap was about 2-3 inches.

Very dangerous, but very good effect. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks

Thought it would be nice to update you on what I used and how it turned out!

As a run down of the effects used for any others wanting to attempt it (in no order)

2 x Smoke Machines

1 x Strobe Light

1 x Black Light/UV light

1 x Green Pan/Scan Laser

1 x Par 36 Scanner Spot with Green Gel

5 x Flicker effect Candle Bulbs

1 x Flame effect silk torch

1 x Plasma Orb

Other props used.

3 x Tomb Stones (made of like a polystrene resin)

3 x Length of rusty chain (again made of polystrene resin)

2 x Severed Latex/Rubber arms - sticking out of window boxes

2 x Severed Witches hands - same effect as above different window box

1 x Asylum Sign (same polystrene resin)

1 x Hanging Skeleton corpse - picked up for a bargain off Ebay

3 x Rolls of "Scene Setters" 2 Cobwebs dungeon and one Bats each 50ft long

2 x Screaming Skulls Window cling transfers

2 x Mirror Cling transfers - 1 "Get out" one Ghostly hand

2 x Portable Stereos with sound effects

1 x DVD player - playing sound effects

1 x Red Foil Curtain

Red and Black Crepe Paper

Red and Black Candles

It was hard work but have to say it looked IMHO the dogs danglies!

Pics available upon request

Ian

Archived