Lasers

Ellis

I have an event coming up where the director is talking about wanting a Laser. What is available to hire? Who to hire from? How much (thurs-mon). How are they controlled? What are the issues? What about health & safety? What have I forgotten?

TIA

Ellis

I have an event coming up where the director is talking about wanting a Laser. What is available to hire? Who to hire from? How much (thurs-mon). How are they controlled? What are the issues? What about health & safety? What have I forgotten?

This director...

Does HE know what lasers can do?

Does he know what he WANTS it to do?

Or is he looking for a toy......?

This director...

Does HE know what lasers can do?

Does he know what he WANTS it to do?

Or is he looking for a toy......?

As Ynot clearly points out, lasers aren't toys. They are expensive to hire (anything from £150-200 upwards) and tend to require a qualified operator due to the health and safety implications that using lasers bring up.

In the past we've used Laser Hire (www.laser-hire.co.uk), though their web site seems to be down at the moment. They will install a laser for you and provide you with an operator. I may be wrong but I don't think its a legal requirement to have a qualified operator, however Laser Hire tend to insist that they train whoever uses their kit as it is fairly complex. We have used them for the past few years to supply lasers to project on our university building for the summer ball and use the operator they bring with them.

Forgot to mention that they run off their own control desk and so couldn't run the type they have off a Strand for example. I can't remember what desk they bring, but try the website and if its still down PM me and I'll try and get you a phone number for them. They aren't DMX-able fixtures that you can just operate in the normal way you would for movers.

The venues public entertainment licence must allow lasers.

If it does not then you can apply for a temporary licence but depending on council this can take a long time and might not be granted. The hirer/operator should provide all the (considerable!) paperwork. A council representative will visit on the day to give the all clear.

It is quite possible that part of the licence will require an experienced operator.

As I understand it the basics are:

No scanning possible into eyes - achieved by physical barrier in front of head.

No single beam - usually the laser will have a safety device to immediately shutter output if scanning head fails.

No ability to hit unpredictable reflective surfaces.

No access to unauthorised persons.

Martin now make one.

Here

Never seen one and no idea if anyone has one in their hire stock yet but it is DMX controllable.

May be a bit "DJ" though.

As Ynot has said does the Director want a laser for a specific effect or just because its a new toy?

If its the later I'd try a dissuade him, though you probably won't have much luck.

I wouldn't recommend Laser Hire for lasers, though they are not bad for fireworks.

For lasers, in the midlands at least, Real Intelligent Laser Lighting (www.rill.biz) are good. They have green and RGB diode lasers which are truss mounted and PC controlled. Very cool indeed. However they tend to go out for around £700 a night if I remember correctly. But this is still cheaper than a traditional watercooled scaff mounted laser!

Perhaps a little DJ style job would be more appropriate?!

I have used lasers pretty extensively in shows over the last 5 years everything from multiple 50w Yag’s to 5w Multicolor DPSS units and as stated, the most important thing to get right is the license, you will have to meet certain conditions in order to be granted a license. One of them will be that a trained operator will have to be present at all times during setup and operation, this operator will also have to ‘Walk’ Health and safety officials from the council through safety functions and frequently cues from the show.

In terms of who to hire them from recently there have been a lot of company’s spring up who can provide lasers. I have had had some bad experiences with a number of the big names, most recently one of the largest hire companies in the UK were providing my show with 3 x 30w green yags to compliment our 2 touring 15w red Yags. 1 of the greens didn’t work for the show (No Spare Provided) even though they had spent most of the day trying to fix it. They provided 6 crew, none of them could climb and all 3 lasers were to be rigged at 10m from deck!, basically the show didn’t happen as it should…. So be careful who you choose…

I Use Laser Design Productions and cannot recommend them enough although they are more expensive than others they have never let me down and there gear is immaculate, far more advanced than competitors and they are used to the schedules of a professional show. Based in Canada they provide gear worldwide, recently for acts such as Foo Fighters, Coldplay, Britney Spears ect ect..

Laser Graphix again great company great gear, based in Dubai and UK totally professional people and have always got it right.

Or you could try a DL2 and use its laser-like effects. Its not a laser, obviously, but can do some similar things, and a whole load of oother things too. No licence required, but the hire fees will make you think you've got a laser!

Archived