Plugging laptop power supply in gives interference.

armaros

As noted by several people - a transformer isolator will solve the problem in most instances. I make a high quality device that is a little dearer than some of the alternative suggested - but you won't notice any loss of audio quality.....!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had this in the past with HP laptops, if you disconnect either the Audio or the 15pin HD connector, the noise stops! also, if you disconnect the power supply it stops. It seems to be some kind of earth loop within the laptop, I couldn't figure it out because the mains lead to the PSU is onlt 2 core, we only got round it by running on battery after trying every trick in the book including DI boxes, earth lifts am

nd running dedicated power from the ops to all audio & Video items in the room.

As a result, we never use HP laptops!!

Sure, but what both Tomo and I are describing is an earth loop, in his case without any audio connected (only a USB for control) and in my case, the audio sends and returns to the computer were both turned down. In this case, an audio iso transformer will do nothing.

Well Garath Iv got a DELL Vostro 1500 and use it for sound playback and its petfectly quiet. Even using cheap mini jack to phono lead its sweet as a nut .

So not all Dells are noisy.!

Im well impressed with quality of the output from the headphone socket. <_<

Ensure as far as possible that your PSU is the one that came with the laptop when new. There are a lot of fakes around which are very hard to tell from originals yet have abysmal EMC. Have a look here for an example. The rest of Mike's site's also highly recommended if you're interested in lasers, high voltage or impressive glassware.

If you don't mind voiding your warranty it's well worth having a play with ferrite rings and decoupling capacitors, I've 'fixed' more than one laptop this way. If you want to keep the warranty wrapping the wire from the PSU tightly around a ferrite rod as used in portable AM receiver aerials then covering it in LX/gaffa tape's probably worth a try although admittedly it's not the most elegant of solutions.

Well, I've just got that transformer from maplins, and it works!

It seems to reduce the quality very slightly, however for listening to mp3s through the onboard sound card this is fine.

The next purchase is a decent (well, better than the onboard) interface. I might give your idea of a long usb cable a go with that then, else its using this transformer, or just batterys.

+1 for the Maplin transformer.

My 2 laptops (IBM & Fujitsu Siemens) give no problems but some others have been shocking without the transformer.

Does it disassemble easily if you remove the shrink wrap? I'd like to change the cabling on it to use better, longer cables with the right connecters on the end rather than have a chain of adapters.

Well Garath Iv got a DELL Vostro 1500 and use it for sound playback and its petfectly quiet. Even using cheap mini jack to phono lead its sweet as a nut .

Aren't those the ones that have been reported to give electric shocks when you touch the case? Customers have made such a fuss about this that Dell are now supplying earthed power supplies for them. So what is great for one section of the market is causing problems for the average user.

Cheers

James.

Aren't those the ones that have been reported to give electric shocks when you touch the case? Customers have made such a fuss about this that Dell are now supplying earthed power supplies for them. So what is great for one section of the market is causing problems for the average user.

Cheers

James.

I know DELL had a small problem with a batch of these vostros something to do with a fault with the Foxcom motherboards they used. But it has been rectified now as far as im

aware Jame <_< Iv had my vostro for about 3 months and have used to virtually every night on the road as music playback and no problems yet (touch sideboard)

A friend of mine uses a IBM lenovo laptop for Music playback and constantly has ground loop problems even when using external USB sound card device/s.

Hello I couldnt be bothered to read all the posts but I get this all the time well did anyway. It is the sound card the power supply creates interfearance so I solved this problem by buying an external sound card I bought this to solve my problem X-Fi Xtreme Audio Notebook

I have been told by another technician that it doesnt really help to have cheap sound cards!!! Also I know for a fact that a MAC does not have an issue with this problem as they are not cheap <_<

Harry.

If you had read the thread, or even some of it, you'd have found that the problem is extant with both internal, and external cards on laptops. I have since found that even with just a data connection that you can have hideous noise. It is definitely a power supply design issue, and not a "fault".

The trick is to work out what the problem is, and how to avoid buying laptps, or power supplies with the problem!

Archived