Plugging laptop power supply in gives interference.

armaros

If you had read the thread, or even some of it, you'd have found that the problem is extant with both internal, and external cards on laptops. I have since found that even with just a data connection that you can have hideous noise. It is definitely a power supply design issue, and not a "fault".

The trick is to work out what the problem is, and how to avoid buying laptps, or power supplies with the problem!

Just an idea for the mods ,

Because Laptops are becoming a regular and invaluable tool for technicians and sound professionals (ok and lampys <_< ) maybe we could set up a section that we could all contribute too and keep upadted on various makes and models of laptops we use and/or have used that dont create a problem when connected to a mixer.

Simply make , model and possibly model of psu used etc.

and a list of laptops that sound professionals in the trade should avoid at all costs.

This topic and question seems to raise its ugly head very frequently..

;)

What does anyone else think about that suggestion ??? :P

Matt

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just an idea for the mods ,

Because Laptops are becoming a regular and invaluable tool for technicians and sound professionals (ok and lampys <_< ) maybe we could set up a section that we could all contribute too and keep upadted on various makes and models of laptops we use and/or have used that dont create a problem when connected to a mixer.

If you start it on the wiki then everyone can join in, and the mods don't need to do anything special for it!

I've got this problem with my new HP6715 laptop. The old IBM T20 thinkpad was ok though, but not up to doing much audio editing unless you had a few days to spare...

Fortunately it'll do a 2 hour session on battery power at the moment, being brand new. From my experience of laptop batteries, I don't expect to get away with that for too long.

Just an idea for the mods , Because Laptops are becoming a regular and invaluable tool for technicians and sound professionals (ok and lampys :) ) maybe we could set up a section that we could all contribute too and keep upadted on various makes and models of laptops we use and/or have used that dont create a problem when connected to a mixer. Simply make , model and possibly model of psu used etc.
Unfortunately it isn't always as simple as that - my Acer laptop works fine when plugged into some systems but is noisy when plugged into others. So we probably also should mention what the laptop is plugged into when the problem occurs.CheersJames.
Iv had my vostro for about 3 months and have used to virtually every night on the road as music playback and no problems yet (touch sideboard)
I think that's the point that I was trying to make - the Vostro's 2 pin PSU is a positive advantage for us sound people but there is a downside for people who don't want to hook it up to grounded gear. Dell didn't see the problem with electric shocks as a fault - but the average customer didn't like getting zapped by the computer so the bad press that was being generated forced Dell to replace the 2 pin PSU's with 3 pin PSU's.CheersJames.

My IBM thinkpad is usually fine with audio.

I had my first buzzy whine a few nights back, but I'm fairly sure I can attribute that to a noisy circuit with a poor earth in an electrically noisy environment.

The onboard sound is tolerable, but is certainly well beaten by the EMU card in my desktop.

Hi All :** laughs out loud **: I use the headphones output from my laptop to send a signal to my desk for backing tracks, but I get quite noisey crackling interference in the background. I thought it was the headphones out skt at fault, but if I plug my headphones into the skt the noise isn't there, only when I feed the desk again does the noise re-appear. I have tried different leads/channels and desks, but the noise is still there!! Has anyone else experienced this or know how to resolve this?I've muted unnecessary channels like SPDIF/AUX in WinXP home volume control etc etc also, and made sure the sound playback device is from its onboard sound and not the modem. this is really puzzling me.

(reiterate)

Different leads (leads ok)

channels (Ch's ok)

and desks (desks ok)

headphone plugged into laptop don't detect noise. (phones out ok)

Yet put through the desks...Noise??? Grrrr!! "Why? :angry:

Any help would be greatfully appreciated.

I am a newbie so please forgive any inaccurate technical details

--

Best Regards

p.mc

Moderation: Merged with a recent topic that covered this problem and potential solutions in detail. Since IRW went to the trouble of linking to this thread (saving me the hassle of finding it!), I'll leave his next post up even though his linky just points straight back to this thread now! ;)

Hi All B-) I use the headphones output from my laptop to send a signal to my desk for backing tracks, but I get quite noisey crackling interference in the background.

There may be a cheap way to solve this problem but first we need to know what mixing desk you are using.

Cheers

James.

Hi All B-) I use the headphones output from my laptop to send a signal to my desk for backing tracks, but I get quite noisey crackling interference in the background.

There may be a cheap way to solve this problem but first we need to know what mixing desk you are using.

There is a cheap way to solve the problem... run the laptop on battery for the duration of the show. Now, whether that is practical for this poster...

Hi All <_< I use the headphones output from my laptop to send a signal to my desk for backing tracks, but I get quite noisey crackling interference in the background.

There is a cheap way to solve the problem... run the laptop on battery for the duration of the show. Now, whether that is practical for this poster...

There may also be a cheap and practical solution too... that's why I want to know what mixer he's using.

Cheers

James.

In many venues such as a Church, Conference or Club with visiting DJ's there are an infinite number of variables. So if you want to use any laptop from any mains power supply into any mixing desk - the answer is to use high quality audio Isolating Transformers.

This has been confirmed by a number of other posters - and in my experience works every time. (I do make and supply a suitable product for this very purpose - which has proved to be effective).

So use passive DI Boxes (2 for stereo) if you have them available - or purchase transformers, as mentioned. They are available at very low prices from a variety of vendors, but remember that - as always - you get what you pay for. Good transformers aren't (very) cheap!

The use of a laptop on battery power might be OK for short presentations, or performances - but could you chance it?!!

A secondary - but important advantage of using an Isolating transformer (only one required if you can work in mono) - is that it will also act as a barrier between your expensive computer and whatever you are plugging into. Even the accidental application of Phantom power from the mixer, if you are plugged into a microphone input - might cause expensive computer damage.......

Archived