Plugging laptop power supply in gives interference.

armaros

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
www.arx.com.au

look for product called ARX USB DI

Moderation: Or just go direct to the product here

If too expensive for you go to www.artproaudio.com and check out product called DTI. Both of these have solved the problem for me.

I had a noisy laptop a couple of days ago, using an Edirol UA-1A USB audio interface.

I tried it through an ART DTI box and this didn't solve the problem.

I then tried a pair of EMO passive DI boxes and when I lifted the earth, the noise went away.

It was on a gig so I didn't have a chance to do any further tests. I'm going to investigate the DTI box and see if it is actually a complete isolator as I'm not convinced.

I've been meaning to get an ARX USB DI for a while - does anyone have experience of them? They're not that cheap but look like a good solution. What's the sound quality like?

The Interspace Industries PC Bal Box also works well, I have found, but obviously still uses the laptop's headphone output.

In my experience this problem is found with many different makes of laptop, including Dell, Toshiba and HP. I would agree that it's generally worse with laptops that have earthed power supplies as the filtering in these dumps noise onto the mains earth.

• 1 year later...
Moderation: With some dismay, we've removed 14 posts from this topic because of inherently dangerous advice being promoted as 'safe'. A number of members attempted to put the record straight, to no avail. Thanks to everyone who tried, but the poor advice has been removed, and all responses to it have also gone as they have done their job. Thanks to all.

Archived