Worst lantern?

pritch

I would take them for work at college if there was a nice easy way to "pimp" them.

patt137/237 We had some at school, in fact I think more than half our rig was those. Nice and light weight, and thats where the good points stop. They had zero power and made little difference to anything. From memory they were very yellow.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

T spots!

Awful, only good feature was the double shutters.

What I don't quite understand is that the patt 264s were so much better than t-spots. Why didn't Strand just aesthetically remodel the 264, rather than build the rubbish that is a T-spot...

Re Patt 45s, I have used them for blinders/eye candy; other than that use them for a paperweight/vase/plantpot/ash tray etc... Definitely don't use them in a situation where they are meant to light something.

I often use 45s as working lights backstage, as with a blue gel they chuck out enough not to be noticable, but make working that bit easier.

The worst lantern I've met was something called a mini light or something similar, which was a fresnel, with no reflect, and 7 or 8 circles cut in the back in a ring (presumably for cooling) that just meant there was a nicely focussed projection on the surface behind them, but hardly any light out of the front. :D

I haven't met them since junior school how ever many years ago, and hope not to.

We used to have some minuette flood battens as a groundrow, they had the most amazing ability to burn every gel put infront of them in a matter of seconds.

A close second are 'spotlight' fresnels. the cases were made of four sheets of steel riveted to the ends. Great at first, but every time they got knocked, they skewed a bit. After ten years they had all taken on their own unique shapes and consequently their own lamp output.

Oh, come on! Perspective, please! The Strand SL is not perfect - but there's no way it's the 'worst lantern'.
I mostly mention it because it's the newest from Strand, yet they have a lot of old stuff that was better (if physically larger)!

I liked Cantata's - yes, they are bl**dy big and heavy, and they don't focus very well on a gobo (you can have the edge or the middle but not both) - but at least they were fairly bright, pretty tough, and very easy to maintain apart from getting replacement Very-Hot Condition IEC plugs/sockets.

I know of a lot of theatres that still get a lot of use out of them, doing nothing more than cleaning the dust out from time to time.

SLs were supposed to compete with Source4s, but they feel like the fragile poor relation.

Exactly! Why design somthing else that doesn't do the job as well as a previous model? I can't actually think of a good SL story - it's usually cracked reflector, sticky lamp holder, pain to clean, etc etc.

I wouldn't compare it to the teapot fi, but but its age is an important factor, not much point comparing a 23 to an S4 as their from different ages. But no one has mentioned a 23 because it was a damn good lantern in its time. The SL isn't.

(I know this isn't strickly in respone to the OP (before anyone says) but it's a bit more interesting than 200 more posts of P45, teapot, 833 etc. And it keeps the thread alive in its intended vain.)

I liked Cantata's - yes, they are bl**dy big and heavy, and they don't focus very well on a gobo (you can have the edge or the middle but not both) - but at least they were fairly bright, pretty tough, and very easy to maintain apart from getting replacement Very-Hot Condition IEC plugs/sockets.
I was out in Cyprus earlier this year on holiday and saw a load of them, outdoors, on one of the Greek theatres there. I'll post some pics if anyone's interested, but you just have to imagine some Cantatas in the baking heat focussed down on one of the semi-amphitheatres! I knew they were rugged but wasn't actually expecting to see them outdoors in that sort of context :-)

The Strand Harmony zoom profiles. Because of the godawful handles on the side to focus them, that snapped off leaving sharp bits of plastic that got more and more twisted and sharper and sharper, as they had to be focussed with an AJ or pliers. And the mechanisms inside them weren't great and were prone to jamming. Because as a 16 year old in my first theatre, they were the heaviest things we had, and not in our opinions worth their weight.

Swiftly followed by the SPK500, from furse. Same box, same thing, just with a fresnel or clear lens in them.

Ugly, ugly things. A bad memory from my school days.

The fact that the JTE 1k floods have a terrible colour changer system, and are not good things to tour. In fact if someone can come up with an easily tourable, robust cyc flood with a great colour frame that doesn't take all your time and skill to fit colour to, eventually giving up and using crocs and blacktak, please do.

And anything that is a source of light and uses an IEC type connector. I've just plugged it in, I don't want to plugit in again. It's one more place for the fickle things we hang to decide not to pass the current through, and another thing to fault find.

I'd completly forgotten aabout the minuette, probably for a very good reason. But it does remind me of the Minim 300w. what a ill-conceived piece of poo that was, more heat than light, less light than a gloworm in a coke bottle. The light used to cough and stop about 3 feet out of the lens. Best used in a greenhouse to keep the frost off.

Archived