His Dark Materials

peter

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lightnix

Hello ;)

Mr. Thickie Conference technician here. Sorry to be ignorant, but what exactly is the fuss about this show ? I'm not slagging it off, I just don't know a single thing about it, save that it is allegedly brilliant in some or many ways.

I'll get my grey suit... :P

Pullman's "His Dark Materials" series is an incredible trilogy in which there are many effects pretty much impossible to create on a live stage. For one, nearly all the characters in the first book (Northern Lights) are followed around by their daemon (prenounced demon) which is a little animal whose type reflects their personality. As children, Lyra (the main focus of Northern Lights) and the 40 or so other children, a characters daemon is free to change its form at any time. Now try recreating that (bearing in mind that at times the daemons fly, at times they are mice and then seconds later can change into a lion or a panther) in a believable fashion.

Add to that the 100 or so scenes which have to be covered in two 3 hour shows, a battle of polar bears wearing armour, a flying hot air balloon chased by a zepplin, witches, cities in the sky, barges.... the list goes on and on. Most of the effects would be fairly simple to recreate on film, but for theatre...

I'd seriously recommend the HDM series to anyone who hasn't read them - as Pullman himself said, they are not just for children.

...but was beaten into a cocked-hat by Lord Of The Rings.

OK, I'll give you that the Rings has been supported by the Peter Jackson film, but that shouldn't take away from Tolkein's story-telling.

Any one sad enough not to have seen the films, or read the books, because "I can't be doing with elves & such" is doing themselves a dis-service. Don't, however, see the last one first thinking that you'll get a "Story so far" intro.

OK, I'll give you that the Rings has been supported by the Peter Jackson film, but that shouldn't take away from Tolkein's story-telling.

<trivia>

Tolkein's great-great-grandson lives a few miles up the road from here ...

</trivia>

:unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived