Interview dress code??

monkeh

Hi everyone

Any tips on what to wear for interviews? I've got a (technical) CSM interview coming up this week and just thought I'd ask for a few ideas on expected womens dress code - trousers plus...?

Any suggestions hugely appreciated!

Cheers

M

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This might come across as sexist - it isn't meant to be, but assuming you are going to be interviewed by someone who actually knows the job as well as some kind of personnel officer type, then you need, as a female, to project an air of authority and efficiency. The truth is that a good CSM has got to be good with people, with practical skills and loads of other stuff. this is really difficult to test, but I think I'm a pretty good judge of when 'it' is there, or more often when 'it' is missing.

I'd agree that looking feminine is important. For me, what I wouldn't want is a girl who has tried to look butch. Blokes hate this- probably built into their make up, I guess. Most experienced interviewers are perfectly aware that to a large degree, sex of an applicant is irrelevent - can they do the job properly is the concern. If this means black jeans, utility belt, huge dm steelies, fingerless gloves, hair tied up really tight - then subconciously, I'd be worried. Comfy clothes (skirt or trousers) makes most sense for an interview - but my interest is in if they look comfortable. Are they relaxed or on edge?

Prejudice is everywhere - you don't want to come accross 'girlie' yet you don't want to appear as one of the 'blokes'

Be yourself. I'm trying to rack my brains for other male built in discrimination factors. Small earings, modest makeup, no studs or lip rings - sensible stuff.

If you want to be a CSM, they'll expect you to have gone up through asm/dsm etc so you need to look 'old enough'. Age is a killer. Too old and you're past it, too young and you aren't experienced enough. The trouble is you rarely know what the magic age in their heads is before the interview.

They say first impressions don't (or shouldn't) count. Total rubbish. In most cases, I say a mental no very early on, and rarely change my mind, equally, a yes in the mind in the first few seconds often carries through.

Did an interview once, and had been told by management that one girl wouldn't be any good as her cv showed she had little formal quals or knowledge. During the interview we had a panic and I excused myself, when I returned a few minutes later, she'd answered a ringing phone and answered a dates query simply by noticing the week planner on the wall. I called the person concerned and they hadn't realised she didn't know anything - for me, this swung it - she got the job.

Some generally good advice from paulears.

The one thing I'd add is that I've never heard of anybody turned down for a job for arriving at the interview dressed too formally...but I know of many who missed out because the initial impression they gave was too informal or sloppy.

Bob

I would say as a general rule:

Males:

Ironed, plain button down shirt

Tie

Black dress pants

Black shoes

Sports coat

Females:

Simple blouse

Plain skirt/pants

Black shoes

And make sure your shoes are well pollished. You can tell a lot about a person by looking at the shoes they wear. I am notorious for wearing steel capped boots everywhere - however that does not mean that they are covered in dirt and muck all the time - they can easily be made to look like dress shoes using a bit of polish.

Hair should be out of the face

And see whether you can get yourself a leather compendium - they hold a note pad, pen and you can put a few copies of your CV in there as well.

Basically I dress as I would if I was going to a business meeting - after all, the look you want to pull off is "I am here to do business, and I do it well."

Males:

Ironed, plain button down shirt

Tie

Black dress pants

Black shoes

Sports coat

Females:

Simple blouse

Plain skirt/pants

Black shoes

Readers should note that Mr. Calder is from Australia, where the word "pants" is used differently to the UK.

UK readers should not attempt to attend an interview wearing nothing but a skimpy top, black shiny shoes and a pair of pants - unless the're interviewing for the position of Lapdancer! :D

Back on topic, I do think it's possible to be overdressed as well as underdressed. I think you should aim to wear whatever you'd be expected to wear in your job on a formal occasion. If you had to attend a VIP night, for instance, what would you wear? If that would be a suit, wear a suit. If that would be (for a man) a jacket and tie, wear that. If it would be just a matter of looking relatively smart but still dressing as a technian, then that would be appropriate for an interview. You don't want people to think "well (s)he doesn't look like a theatre technician/CSM/whatever".

I'm going to disagree with you, justsomebloke (though not about the lapdance interview!).

Before my retirement I ran the technical department for a large TV news company. There were 50+ technicians in my department and, on a normal working day, dress code was informal: jeans or chinos, casual shirt or T-short, that sort of thing.

Despite this, somebody turning up for an interview looking overly casual would get a black mark on my mental check list. Why? Well, the interview is your chance to sell yourself and your skills and, rightly or wrongly, I think you should look like you've made an effort. Not doing so may represent an "I don't care" attitude that could spill over into work.

As for "looking like a technician", from your CV and your answers at the interview, I already KNOW whether you're a technician or not. The clothes are much more indicative of you attitude to life than your technical qualifications.

Yeah. I know. I sound like a boring reactionary old git. Unfortunately, there's a good chance the person interviewing you wil be a boring, reactionary old git and you need to adjust your interview technique (and clothing!) accordingly!

Bob

You brits and your odd terms...

Pants:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00095OIWM.16._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS260_.jpg

I totally agree with Bob, an interview is basically you playing salesman, and selling yourself. Turning up in a tux is obviously over the top, but jeans and a tshirt is probably a tad under dressed. If you are really worried about not looking like a tech, wear your maglite, phone and leatherman on your belt.

Andy is referring to a specific event (reported in The Stage) where a theatre technician was indeed arrested and charged for having a Leatherman on him.

Further discussion on this has been split into a separate topic.

My thoughts on interview dress code are "one stage up on what you would wear to do the job" -Applies at all levels I think. The interviewer is likely to be older than you so respect their sensibilities. Remember tha outfit is to compliment your performance and to say I can do the job and manage myself well while doing so.

Archived