Interview dress code??

monkeh

I think you may have misunderstood me, Bobbsy.

I wasn't saying you need to look like a technican - as in wearing black chinos and leatherman - but that you need to look like a technician would look at their most smart, e.g. a VIP reception.

Where I work we have VIP receptions from time to time and I would be expected to wear at least a jacket and tie and often a suit so that's what I'd wear for an interview. However, my technicians would probably be OK with just a smart shirt and tie with a possible jacket, so that's what I'd expect them to wear for an interview. For a female CSM I'd definitely expect something relatively formal (maybe a suit, maybe not) but not something that made you look like you work in an office as a P.A.

If a woman came for a job as an ASM wearing a white top and a tight pink skirt I wouldn't give her the job as she wouldn't look like a technician and thus clearly doesn't know what the job entails. It entails sometimes getting dirty and maybe climbing ladders. Likewise if a man came for a job as Technical Manager wearing black T shirt, black jeans and a tool kit hanging off his belt then he clearly hasn't understood the difference between Technician and Tech Manager.

First impressions matter and if you look the part when you walk in, you're part way to getting the job.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all your replies guys!!

I had my interview yesterday and they rang me back to offer me the job this morning - :)!! Now just need to be consistently fabulous between now and the end of November.... :D

I had my interview yesterday and they rang me back to offer me the job this morning - :)!!
So what's the secret? What did you wear?

That's obvious - just the black shirt!!!

:D B-) ;)

I had my interview yesterday and they rang me back to offer me the job this morning - :)!!

:D B-) ;)

Don't forget the pants!!!! :P

B-) ;) :P

Don't forget the pants!!!! :P
Shiny ones???

Oh, sorry - that was the shoes.

(Wasn't it???)

:D

Great she got the job! Well done.

Today, I think this subject happened in our venue, but not centred on jobs. This year we have pretty well a totally new, and very green crew. Tomorrow we have 1200 pensioners arriving for a freebie show. A millionaire collects the contents of the old folks homes in the area, bungs them on 25 coaches and sends them to Yarmouth, with a tenner in their pocket - and a free show - he pays for the lot! We generally get a variety show where the turns are the same age as the punters. Works really well. We have tomorrow, a singer, a comedian - Dougie Chapman himself is going to perform and a vent act too. Organist and drummer do the music, no tracks here. In a few weeks we have another, this one with the glenn miller orchestra.

Now, many of these pensioners are in wheelchairs - last year we had over 60. Most can sit in normal seats, but doors open an hour before, and there is constant toilet traffic. So no proper get-in, but the crew are all involved in getting the biddies into their seats.

So, after the show today, I called them together and explained that just for tomorrow, no blacks. Blank expressions. So I explained that black trousers, proper shoes and a shirt would be the order of the day.

The reason is quite simple, they respond to people who look 'smart' - they ignor, or sometimes deliberately become awkward with the typical crew attire. First impressions do count. Older people expect certain things - and we've always found appropriate dress code works for these things.

My only problem is that some of the crew don't appear to actually own a conventional shirt, have any trousers that are not jeans or own any kind of footwear that aren't DM steelies or trainers that smell! Me, I'm wearing a suit. Odd how they automatically think I'm in charge?

• 1 year later...

Surely you jest sir!

Paulears didn't ask for people to be in top hat and tails, just "smart clothes". Don't these technicians ever go clubbing...or to church (if that way inclined) or out to dinner with their SO, or tea with Aunt Elspeth, or a friend's wedding...or even to job interviews?

I'd be very surprised if there wasn't some kind of shirt with a collar and non-jeans trousers lurking at the back of most wardrobes.

Bob

Thanks Bob - I realise some people may not actually have proper shoes or non-black jeans/combats or anything other than T-shirts - but as said, everyone gets the odd invite to places where you need to dress up a bit.

We were talking about interview attire - so presumably the people had some kind of decent clothes and shoes when they went for the interview? I doubt very many would dress in their show-wear to go to an interview. I find the notion of people having to borrow decent clothing to wear quite funny - and to be honest, rather sad.

I take great pride in the fact I have a large out-of-theatre wardrobe, I have better things to do with my spare time than look like I'm at work. Not that work wear is that different to outside wear, as I get paid to wear blacks so if the call doesn't specifically need blacks then I ain't wearing them! :)

When I started Sixth Form this year I made a big deal of making sure I got plenty of smarter clothes.

The dress code is pretty strict; basically we have to dress as a young professional in an office environment. This was the perfect oppurtunity to buy a couple of suits, and some decent shirts.

Of course, the vast majority of the shirts are black/dark coloured, meaning that I can wear them for the slightly more formal shows and dinner dance type things that I occasionally need to tech.

I think it was Paulears who mentioned it, but it's amazing how well some black steel toed boots shine up with a bit of polish. Meaning both safety if needed, and smartness.

I think it was Paulears who mentioned it, but it's amazing how well some black steel toed boots shine up with a bit of polish. Meaning both safety if needed, and smartness.

You can of course get the steel toed dress shoes from Arco if you need them a lot...

Or indeed your suits.

Just been for an interview....dressed in..

Shorts, t-shirt, short socks and worn sneakers.

They were not looking for anybody, I just phoned them, and they were 'excited' about this prospect.

My wife was horrified, but then she remembered that I topped all others for another job when dressed 'funny' and mainly because my name was Tony. There were 2 other Tony's on the interview board. Making 3 Tony's seemed a great idea and so the joke almost every day was when somebody walked into the lab shouting 'Tony', there were 3 replies and then hysterics of laughter.... zzzzzzz

Wonders never cease :blink: :)

We have lived these discussions before.

Just been for an interview....dressed in..

Shorts, t-shirt, short socks and worn sneakers.

While with some interviewers this may be acceptable or even a positive it is high risk if you do not know who you are being interviewed by and their own personal opinions.

I would always encourage people to err on the side of caution

Archived