Interview dress code??

monkeh

I went to a interview once dressed in a purple shirt with a tour tshirt underneath,some black trousers,smartish shoes,I had all my facial piercings still in and my 2 foot mohawk spiked up and still got the position on a formal cruise liner as lx op.

so it has to be said its not always about what you wear to a interview, its about what you know and how you put yourself across,I was give then job the next day and flew out and joined the ship and just finished my 6 month contract.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I went to a interview once dressed in a purple shirt with a tour tshirt underneath,some black trousers,smartish shoes,I had all my facial piercings still in and my 2 foot mohawk spiked up and still got the position on a formal cruise liner as lx op.

so it has to be said its not always about what you wear to a interview, its about what you know and how you put yourself across,I was give then job the next day and flew out and joined the ship and just finished my 6 month contract.

An exception does not disprove the rule.

When attending an interview, you are trying to one-up every other person interviewing - and clothing may just give you that edge.

Just been for an interview....dressed in..

Shorts, t-shirt, short socks and worn sneakers.

They were not looking for anybody, I just phoned them, and they were 'excited' about this prospect.

Dress code might be different in South Africa where you live to what is considered acceptable in the UK. :blink:

Cheers

Gerry

I am aware of the importance to 'dress up' for an interview, it's just on most occasions I end up at an unplanned interviews in 'working clothes', invariably landing that job.

As mentioned earlier, in technical positions, if interviewed by technical people (not general management, personnel staff, etc) - to land the job, more emphasis is placed on what you know and how you work, than how you dress. Naturally if you arrive looking like an absolute loss, they'll just say goodbye.

:** laughs out loud **:

• 4 weeks later...
what sort of clothes should you were to go to an interview for a job as a technical manager or chief lx?
I'd say if your applying for a position like that, you should have been in the industry long enough to have been in.. or atleast seen the workings, of some management level interviews..

For the sake of putting an answer... I've seen anywhere between just bit smarter than work clothes to suits.

Just out of interest thetechguy92.. you thinking of applying for a position such as tech manager or chief sparks or something :)

Tom

If you're applying for any kind of management job, don't even think of going in with less than a jacket and tie. One of the many things a potential manager will be evaluated on will be their ability to "fit in" when meeting with clients, local council officials, etc. etc.

Let's put it this way: I've never heard of anyone missing out on a job for being over-dressed but I've heard many a negative comment about people arriving at interviews in over-casual garb.

Bob

Archived