Homemade Pyro Firer

Rob the Spark

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I only ever use the wire out - speaker connections - and even then I use them as an input from a full pyro system- Never really trusted the Le Maitre box - probably just me but they seem to fail more than work. I like the 6 pods = 6 lights = 6 buttons. Push em they go type system

• 2 weeks later...

I can't see a problem with the system, it is very similar to a design that I once used before I was able a Le maitre firing system, the main differnece being I didn't use the jack plugs I used mains bulgin plugs and did buy the proper pods!!!

Asher

Poor Clive, he inspired me to start the development of my own pyro kit, and that was about two years ago, it's still in development. I must admit I dont like the idea of using 1/4" jacks as the cable and it obviously is limited to one channel. Maybe once I've made my first prototype if anyone is interested I will post it for feedback, before I submit it for some official saftey teseting and approval.

There is NO approval authority! It's up to you to determine the switching logic in all modes inc the unusual, and check that all modes fail safe. Its also important to ensure that there is ample firing current available as typical UK igniters do NOT fire at 20 mA (for testing) and DO fire at 500mA. In between there is a probability of firing or mis-firing and partial circuit firing. Also there is a faster igniter now in use which should not be mixed with older types. There is a lot to be said for buying a manufacturers firing unit unless your needs are very specific and you understand the hazards and risks and can eliminate them by design.

Having worked with real explosives and with cat4 fireworks and done Lincoln's course, I was recently given a pep talk as to how dangerous pyrotechnics were - by some balloon artist who had installed a single bare igniter on a confetti balloon and left it for me to fire. Prob more hazard from the confetti and balloon than the pyro content!!

There is NO approval authority! .

I am no pro and I dont claim to be but is that not something that should be looked at?

I am not condeming Clives firing mechnism, as I have used a home made one (not by me), but is there not something that states what must be used and must not, connector styles etc etc?

There's no need for a standard at all here.

What is needed is that the person designing the system does a proper risk assessment and chooses the ignition system carefully.

There are a great many ways to control pyros, and some would be crazy in certain situations, while being perfect for others.

• 2 years later...

The design seems electrically sound. I'm not too convinced about the pod (although he does mention that it is low duty).

My main concern is the 'Fire' button itself, that I feel should be recessed or have some form of shield.

My main concern is the 'Fire' button itself, that I feel should be recessed or have some form of shield.
Why? Presumably you only arm it when it's safe to fire it and if you're that much of a tard you can't hold the controller without accidentally turning the key and pressing the fire button I'd suggest pyros probably aren't for you.

Thank you for that 'Personalised' response. Many of the designs I have seen or used seem to have managed to employ some kind of button shielding, from this I can only presume that most manufacturers see it as good design practice as well.

How difficult is it to drop a handheld controller when the system is armed? Why do you feel the need to belittle safety related suggestions on a thread about Pyrotechnic controller design?

Because there's doing things to make a dangerous situation safer and there's doing things to make a situation seem safer.

I'll accept it's fairly easy to drop a hand held controller but it's also really easy not to. As soon as you arm the thing you should be aware that dropping it could seriously injure someone, take a bit of care not to drop it and responsibility for your actions. Even if you use a shielded switch how do you know that the vibrations from it hitting the deck won't close the contacts?

My previous post was meant to be light hearted and I certainly didn't intend it to cause any offence.

Archived