Homemade Pyro Firer

Rob the Spark

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a metal box, with 2 connections to plug in the pyro, and somewhere to plug in the cable.

Now, was I talking about Clive's version or the LeMaitre one?

For info, Clive is a well-respected regular on r.a.t.s, and works in the industry.

For info, Clive is a well-respected regular on r.a.t.s, and works in the industry.

For info: Clive is a crazed nutter, but his phenominal understanding of how stuff works allows him to tread on the right side of the line to be "crazy" rather than "dangerous". He is one of the few people I would defer to in a hurry over lots of topics.

http://www.bigclive.com

The only point I would make about Clive's box which has been alluded to above is the use of jack cables. Le Maitre use unusual connectors, and uses them in unusual ways. These connectors were once rated for mains use, but that approval evaporated eons ago, and they were never popular anyway, so you're really really unlikely to find a mains cable with a Le Maitre connector on the end.

I have a battery pyro firing box (well, its mostly in bits, the useful bits having been nicked for later models) and a mains powered version, both of which use 4mm connectors. Is that better / worse than jacks?

Big Clive is a GENIUS. He also has a sense of humour. There is much to learn from his published work, and I guess more to learn from the Man himself. Whatever he does must have some correctness as he is still safe and still engaged in this industry.

He is generous enough to share his ideas, please use them wisely. If you don't understand the project and its risks dont do it.

I don't have much to add to this thread, except another post in support of big Clive. He's a top man who does excellent work.

His alter-ego, on the other hand, who goes by the name of Davie Dimmers...

:blink:

I guess the OP has given up after slagging something quite functional off - the subject of connectors for pyro devices has had a few airings. I currently use 3 pin XLRs. simply to allow 2 circuits down one cable with daisy chained pods. I don't like jacks purely because they fall out!

Archived