Celco Gold

ChazzQuire

Well, had you tried Google, you would have found:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&safe=...nG=Search&meta=

http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache:oSDSH...uk&ct=clnk&cd=5

The Celco Gold 90 II was a hugely popular rock concert lighting board back during the days of the 120K Par Can lighting rig. This analog lighting console comes complete in a roadcase and features a 90 channel two scene preset configuration with 24 submasters and a programmable chase.

Or even http://www.celco.co.uk/

:rolleyes:

it's huge, it's heavy...

it's great!

output pots above every channel.

However it does output on 3 x 36 pin socapex. what a nice soldering job that is?

great for generics - in a rock'n'roll kinda way.

if you're going to get it, make sure it has the keyboard otherwise you'll not be able to dipless crossfade etc or use the lovely red led legends.

you'll find a need for a demux unit too if you've got more than 90 dimmers.

and 6 or 7 feet of flat space to put it down on of course.

Mr Fantastic's fingers are useful if you're nipping across the flash buttons at speed

if you're going to get it, make sure it has the keyboard otherwise you'll not be able to dipless crossfade etc or use the lovely red led legends.

or clear the desk or change memory pages etc

Used one once, it was a great "Flash and Trash" desk which was useful for the band that I was touring in with! Although compared to modern standards (as others have said) it is slightly oversized for what your getting.

The thing I liked about it was the way to select subs to perform things like legending them, by pulling down on the fader. It had like a sprung loaded part of the fader below 0 that acted as a select for that memory. I'd imagine trying to find spare faders for the subs is a nightmare!

The thing I liked about it was the way to select subs to perform things like legending them, by pulling down on the fader. It had like a sprung loaded part of the fader below 0 that acted as a select for that memory. I'd imagine trying to find spare faders for the subs is a nightmare!

Must of been a common feature on early Celco desks, I remember one of the first memory desks I got my grubby hands on was a Celco Baby, it had a similar way of working.

I believe that it's common to the entire Celco range - the Explorer and their moving lights desk used it too.

I think it's a very smart way to deal with subs - you'll never get confused about which fader you're fiddling with as is possible with numbered subs, as you're physically grabbing the thing.

Shame I've never seen the technique used on anything else really.

A similar system to the "Auto Start" faders on broadcast mixers? These are still made, so spares may not be impossible to find.

Sort of similar, but not the same. With auto-start, a switch is 'tripped' when the fader is moved up from zero. With the Celco faders, it's kind of 'backwards' - when the fader is sitting at zero, you pull it towards you (below zero) to select that fader for editing. When you let go, the fader then spring-returns to zero. I've never seen this system on any desks other than Celcos.

A similar system to the "Auto Start" faders on broadcast mixers? These are still made, so spares may not be impossible to find.

Sort of similar, but not the same. With auto-start, a switch is 'tripped' when the fader is moved up from zero. With the Celco faders, it's kind of 'backwards' - when the fader is sitting at zero, you pull it towards you (below zero) to select that fader for editing. When you let go, the fader then spring-returns to zero. I've never seen this system on any desks other than Celcos.

Still available from Penny and Giles and used for PFL on some big audio consoles (eg Neve/Audix). The feature is called 'overpress'.

Archived