Tallescopes

peter

Yer, at the moment it's hard to do anything like focussing or pointing with one hand, and to point a low number of lamps doesn't warrant the haulage of scaffolding for a tower to be set up.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wasn't aware that WAHR required three points of contact, although I do know that it discourages the use of ladders. Are you sure that this is the case?

122. Other factors that can improve the safe use of ladders include facing the ladder at all times when climbing or dismounting and maintaining contact with both feet and at least one hand.

Just because it is not requirement, doesn't mean it should not be adhered to.

Working for a law firm by day teaches you that IF you were to injure yourself and wanted to sue, or if someone under you was injured....they can pull up the reg's and quote them, and then they'll grill you as to why you were not following a published reccomendation.

Reccomendations are the equivalent of dense fog in a courtroom, compared to laws or regulations which are strictly black and white. We all know how easy it is to get lost in the fog.....

(But then..how do you define walking up and down the ladder, you would need to remove at least one foot for that B-) )

Likewise with manufacturers information on Tallescopes (desperately trying to steer the thread back again!) If they specifically say don't do something, and you do....it would be very difficult to say that you were in the right

All I will say is...Be Careful

To add to Oli's post; the HSWA, which is the 'law' that you will be prosecuted under, has a very limited defense. Basically your only defense is that you took all reasonable steps to prevent the accident happening.

If all regulations, recommendations, guidance notes and manufacturers instructions say 'don't do something' how exactly does anyone propose to prove that they were acting reasonably?

Guest lightnix
...this is not a 'requirement' - more a reccomendation.  Not that it is a sensible one...

Hmmm... an interesting point of view. What are your reasons for regarding it as not sensible ?

...this is not a 'requirement' - more a reccomendation.  Not that it is a sensible one...

Hmmm... an interesting point of view. What are your reasons for regarding it as not sensible ?

Not answering for dave, but IMO I would think it wasn't sensible because of the very limited work it would allow you to do on a ladder if it were a requirement.

There isn't much that I could do up a ladder with one hand, I could try attach a chain but that would be very difficult with one hand.

If the ladder is at the correct 4:1 angle then I don't see too much of a problem with using both hands to point whilst on a ladder.

The Work at Height Regs are still only a draft (but I don't think this part will have changed significantly when we do finally see them in December-ish either)

They don't say you have to hold on with one hand, two hands or any other amount of hands.

They do say that you should be able to hold on should you need to; 'a handhold should always be available'.

The Regs, ACoP and guidance is aimed squarely at avoiding use of ladders as much as possible in favour of other, safer means of access.

We are all starting to think about these issues as eveidenced in these threads, which is Good News.

There are 287 pages of fascinating research (well some of it is) recently commissioned from Loughborough University by HSE (RR 205) if anyone is really interested.

Discusses all kinds of things and dispels myths such as footing being of use when the ladder is correctly used and maintained, believe it or not.

• 10 months later...
Back when I was ickle, (bout 10 years ago) my nextdoor neighbour used to be a lifting equipment dealer. We used to drive thing very similar to those all around the place just because. They're bloody great to use and really stable if you're small, not sure how adult loads go in them, as I've never tried it

Archived