Arcline

b1nuzz

And if it is any good, where to hire it from? Stage Electrics do it, but they are expensive.

I'm not sure about the costs of hire of Arcline + controller but Utopium Lighting, Syston Centre, Kingswood, Bristol Stock about 12 of them + controller.

Hope this information is useful.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...

Ive never had any problems on proper 3 core IEC and a "real" controller!

ok - so which colours did you link to which from the 4 at the back of the controller please?

Back of our arcline control unit AL100 has 4 wires to a connection box which are coloured yellow, blue, brown and black. How should we connect the regular 3 core earth live & neutral to this connector box?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS QUESTION HAS BEEN BUGGING ME^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I AM A YANKEE IN DESPERATE NEED OF HELP!!!

I was wondering A) if anyone knows how I could get the wiring skematics for the old arc line systems.

AND

I need polarity/connection information. I have to make my own cords (mains etc.)

Kevin

kfcjock@hotmail.com

www.myspace.com/kfcjock

• 1 month later...
Believe Arcline was made obsolete, something to do with 240v (as it was back then), and a fragile plastic surround, not being much in the way of protection. Once again the professional is penalised for the mistakes of those who are not. Only posted as I found a far east company now making it; dam those European rules, might get the parts and self build. Shall keep the BR in touch with progress.

• 1 year later...

To drag this one back up....

I've just picked up a brand new AL100 (in box, instructions, etc packing date 30/01/1991 :) ) but it doesn't come with the 4 core cable mentioned in the instructions. It does mention that alternative cables with different impedances to the specific AC25 cable set will not work, which might explain the need for 80m runs earlier in this thread.

Does anyone know:

a. What the wiring scheme was in the original set?

b. How to go about wiring a 3 core cable to the controller?

Many thanks

hi you join the lenghts together by means of a kettle type plug . the mode will drive the flashes in sequence all way along the tubes .it has variable speeed ,and bass burst if connected to sound . mode work in one direction only . I have used control with 3 mtr between control and ist tube with no problems the tubes plastic crack easily .as far as I am aware they are no longer available from mode . For repairs its usually the capacitor and not the strobe tube

I've got all the Arcline brochures and owners manuals here if anybody wants them emailed. Arcline is pretty impressive when its working properly, it uses 1 4-core control cable from dedicated controller to first tube and the rest are daisy chained end to end to a maximum of 100M continuous tubing.

Yes they will work outdoors (and are often used thus!!) with the appropriate outdoor kit...and look stunning outlining buildings. They don't 'chase' in a bank of four BTW..they use a trig pulse (which may be synched sound to light) from the controller, or just speed-controlled by pot, and the flash runs along the whole run of tubes to the end, repeating at a speed set by another pot on the controller.

Up to 8 radials of arcline tubes can be star-connected for parallel triggering or starburst effect.

The travelling dot of light will go as fast as (I quote) 1400mph.

The correct Mode cable should be used as the impedance is important for correct triggering.

Mode did a range of 'arcline' products, not just the tubes but also strobe pendants similar to the Optikinetics Sparklites. Their products are and were always regarded as reliable and well-built, many ancient controllers and dimmers are in constant use in bars and clubs all over the shop.

I managed to get some great response from Mode tech support on this one.

Basically they said that the black wire should be connected to the yell/grn wire. On short runs this can be done at the controller end and the main cable can be 3 core. For longer initial runs they said use 4x0.75mm and make the connection at the female end. I did mention about the fact the manual states using the correct impedence cable and he said regular 4x0.75mm would be fine.

Hope thats some use to others

Has anyone got any pictures/videos of Arcline in action?

I will try and get one today.

Arcline is cracking stuff, gutted you can't get any more! Although I've just remembered I've got a spare couple of tubes sitting unused - time to expand I think! :rolleyes:

There are a couple of videos on youtube if you search for arcline.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...mp;search_type=

I'm finding it still comes up periodically on ebay, although the quality appears to vary significantly as you'd expect of something that is described as being so fragile in a touring environment. Old install stuff will probably be the best deal as it'll look filthy but probably be in better condition than stuff from a warehouse.

• 5 months later...
I have two Arcline AL 100 controlers which I want to sell. I don't need them anymore.

Hi, and welcome to the Blue Room.

However, it should be pointed out to you that adverts 'For Sale' should go into the relevant topic for this, and does attract a small contribution should you sell through here.

That said, is it just the controllers you're selling, or strips as well?

Archived