Arcline

b1nuzz

Two questions in one here really. Looking at hiring some strips of arcline plus a controller.

Has anybody got any experience of using it, and if so, is it any good? And if not, whats good instead.

And if it is any good, where to hire it from? Stage Electrics do it, but they are expensive.

That was more than two, sorry.

Thanks for your help guys!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its been years, but I really like Arc-line as an effect, you cant use it in many theatrical settings though :P

A discussion about this came up the other day, and I noted that Mode lighting now appear to be only an architectural lighting company, the effects side seems to have vanished. Is the Arc-line even still made?

I need to use it for return to the forbidden planet. I have seen it used in rock and roll shows, but it was pretty knackered. Some of it didnt light, so I dont know how much tech support is offered for them.

If places still hire it, they must keep it up to scratch. (hopefully)

A quick search on Google (Who IS your friend!) revelead it is held by the following hire companies:

Panda Hire (Nottingham Based)

VLPS (Now PRG Europe and Greenford based)

Pointsource Productions (Surrey Based)

Halo (London Based)

Fourth Phase (Again now PRG Europe and Croydon based)

and that was just in the first 2 pages of returned searches!

I also know that Pearce Hire stock it (Peterborough Based)

Cheers

Dan

Edit: My Bad! it was LSD Fourth Phase that got me confused!

Oooh...

Arcline's good,can't add anyone else that's got it but make sure you get the right controller!

And Dan,just to correct a little:

Fourth Phase (PRG Europe now) are Croydon Based

LSD (PRG Europe now) are Birmingham based!

whats the difference in controllers. I have seen that there is single channel and 4 channel. I would need the 4 channel one to get 4 strips doing the same thing at the same time right?

Is that the only diffrence in controllers you are refering too?

No,You could do that with a one channel one!

You'd need a four channel one to have four pieces doing different things at the same time,but there are also limits to the number of pieces on a line.

What color are you after?And what size?

Is there a BR Mode Rep?

Cause Id like to know why theres not a DMXable Arcline controller!

I know the tour of Thatll be the day 2003/2004 had some Arcline on it and it didnt even manage one full tour before trashed completely and binned! So I dont think that touring it unless you can pay for lots of cases etc is the best bet!

I used to work on thatll be the day. When they had it it wa great for a while, but I know it got trashed.

Looking for blue.

So a one channel controller would allow me to have, say, 4 pieces spread across the stage, all doing the same thing? Would I just have to daisy chain them, with mega extensions to stretch far enough across all of the stage?

try putting about 80ft worth of cable between the first tube and the controller... I know White Light have that marked on all their controllers - personally I've always found it works regardless but if you're having problems you could try this?

thanks. We had them all working once, with 30m of cable between controller and first unit but then it stopped :blink: It's possible that one of them got broken in transit to their first gig. We did pick them up for £50 for 8 tubes and a controller so we weren't expecting them all to work - they did though. Until we took them out :P :rolleyes:

On the back of the controller there are 4 coloured wires going out - but only 3 need to go into the tube - not sure which colour wire should be going into which, doesn't seem to fit the standard array - which colour should go to which? It's like defusing a bomb!

Also, do you need to plug it into a sound source to get it to do different things? - when we did have it working, we could only make it do a one pace chase around the 8 units.

This stuff sound really complicated. Why does there need to be so much cable between the controller and tubes? What sort of cable is it, aka will I have to order loads of it?

I have been advised that Soundlab make a strobe tube. Kinda the same. Anyone had experience of that one?

Cheers

Archived