Marquee Lighting

James S

Hi all,

We are wanting to expand our equipment stock for forthcoming summer events. Doing more events in marquees and outside we wanted to get some more suitable lighting and distro for this specific purpose.

When we've previously done these types of events we've noticed several marquee companies supply the same type of white uplighter (pictured bottom left in the pic below). They are small white metal boxes with a PAR38 flood bulb inside.

http://www.countymarquees.com/images/lighting-equip.jpg

I've searched all the usual places (google, CPC, farnell, RS) and cant find them. Does anyone stock these and thus know where there from/ any more details?

Different companies seem to hire out ones with different powering methods - I've seen some with 16A in and out and others with just a 13A plug. I was thinking (unless they come prewired) of fitting powercon ins and out to prevent nuisance people taking power feeds from that ring (to prevent possible problems). What do you think?

Hope you can help,

James

I'd say that in a marquree you'd want to use 13A outlets specifically for public outlets. Using 16A would mean that the hirer is less likely to fiddle with it (unless he's a caravanner). PowerCons sound like a good idea, although bear in mind that they shouldn't be connected under load (unlike 16A's I believe) and are only rated at IP20.

I'd say that in a marquree you'd want to use 13A outlets specifically for public outlets.

I would say that for marquee work, although the units will be on the inside, the cabling tends to get stuffed under the fabric sides for tidiness into the elements. As such, 16a CEE17 connections are a much better idea.

I had a look at the ones from Essential Supplies but thought the fact that the outlet was fixed on the back of the unit made it a little awkward to position close to a wall. I would prefer a unit with the plug and socket on short trailing flexes - and not in bright blue either!!!

Steve

I'd say that in a marquee you'd want to use 13A outlets specifically for public outlets.
I would say that for marquee work, although the units will be on the inside, the cabling tends to get stuffed under the fabric sides for tidiness into the elements. As such, 16A CEE17 connections are a much better idea.
Sorry, I probably didn't make myself clear, I'm saying not to use 13A unless you're plugging in a consumer device, supplied by the hirer. 16A all the way for me with marquees. (can be cheaper and easier to wire than 13A in any case)

In my experience these type of uplighter are used by marquee companies to put behind the inner lining. If you are going to uplight in front of these linings we always use a standard par 56 can(300w) with double arms. They are a far less expensive method looking at the website posted above.

Ours are wired using 13 amp plugs but only about 5-10% of our work is in marquees. If that percentage went up much I would be very tempted to move over to 16 amp plugs with splitters just for the moisture consideration.

I have seen these type of can wired up with two 16 amps (1 in 1 out) - I would be interested on other people thoughts on the safety side of these.

Thom

I had a look at the ones from Essential Supplies but thought the fact that the outlet was fixed on the back of the unit made it a little awkward to position close to a wall. I would prefer a unit with the plug and socket on short trailing flexes - and not in bright blue either!!!

The ones from essential they will change the cable and/or connectors as you require. We therefore got trailing leads in black for exactly the reason you said. 0.5m on the inlet and then 3m on the outlet to link onto the next one (it may have been the other way round-it was a while back)

Archived