Strand 500 series OLE

blzbug

hi hope some one can help me I am looking for the name for a piece of software that lets u program the 520 console on your pc in a dos based program the load then to the desk later via floppy

Unfortunately I can remember the name of it of where it was downloaded from

It allowed me to pre-program the patches groups and subs and do a quick set of states from my notes before getting to the desk

Has any one any ideas

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ordinarily, I'd say a few things in reply to this question :

* It's definitely a lighting query, so it should be in the lighting forum rather than general tech chat - we encourage people to take a look at the options available to them in terms of the sections of the Blue Room site, and post their question/comment/opinion/whatever into the most appropriate one.

* The answer to your question is already in the Lighting Forum FAQ, which is here - there's a link to the FAQ as the very top item in the lighting forum index.

* If the answer to a question of this kind isn't in the relevant FAQ, there's every possibility that it's already been answered somewhere else on the site, and there's a pretty good search function built into the site which will help you find the answers you're looking for - just type some suitable search keywords into the box at the top-right of the screen, make sure "Search the Blue Room" is selected, and hit the Search button.

* For any console, not just this one, the first port of call for an off-line editor should be the manufacturer's website.

However, this is your first post, so I'll be gentle and not say any of those things. :** laughs out loud **: (And welcome to the Blue Room, by the way! :unsure: )

The piece of software you're looking for is the GeniusPro off-line editor, and you can get it from here. Be aware, though, that it won't run on a Windows XP machine - Strand still haven't cottoned on to the fact that Microsoft have released a new operating system to replace Windows ME, and haven't (despite lots and lots of people asking them to do so), released a version of their OLE that will run on the operating system that's been supplied with almost every new PC that's sold throughout the civilised world for the last 3 or 4 years. :off:

Just a thought - I see Strand now incorporating wysiwyg with the 500 series desks - "in collaboration with Cast". Does this mean XP compatability is a bit nearer. I can't think that anyone would do further development of a current piece of software to work on a 7 yr old (or more if you bear in mind Genius is DOS) operating system?

Just a thought - I see Strand now incorporating wysiwyg with the 500 series desks - "in collaboration with Cast".  Does this mean XP compatability is a bit nearer. I can't think that anyone would do further development of a current piece of software to work on a 7 yr old (or more if you bear in mind Genius is DOS) operating system?

from what I can see there just bundling the softwhere for use on your own pc/laptop ect , this will then talk to the desk over ethernet (strand show net)

If you install a PC emulator e.g. Windows 98 on your PC and run the OLE through this even though your main operating system is XP the OLE thinks it is Windows 98 and runs fine. :unsure:

But why should I have to do that? Every other console manufacturer has an OLE that runs just fine under XP.

I'm just waiting on delivery of my Strand X-Connect dongle, so it'll be interesting to see whether that goes any way towards solving the old XP/OLE problem ...

X-Connect USB , verry usefull , I tour with a strand 300, and insted of touring 2 tft's with the desk , I just fireup the X-Connect on the laptop and I can get all the screens I need and still use the display for other things, also its v usefull to carry backup copys of shows,desk OS and manuals. I alos used it for a resent show which the control position was side of stage, so I took the laptop (with a wifi link back to the desk) and sat foh and plotted the show from there, note u will need to know the strand keybord shortcuts, I use these more then some of the console butons because I often use bothe the 300 and 520i and the buttons are in verry diffrent places, so over the years ive come to mainly use the keybord.

one thing which would be nice for the X-Connect is to allow use you to use a teackball mouse for plotting movers , like you do localey on a 300

thanks

henny

Henny, does the X-Connect USB have Windows XP compatability?

It works with both XP, and Mac OS X. However, its worth noting that its _not_ an offline solution - it just lets you log in to the back of an existing 300 or 500 series desk (providing that desk is running reasonably recent software). I use mine together with a wireless hub, to let me have a copy of the desk screens wherever I'm sitting in the auditorium during production week.

The 500 series supports multiple users, and X-connect lets you log in as a different user from the primary desk operator - so you can have different screens, or even make changes seperately from the main board op. The 300 series only has one user - whilst you can 'type' into the desk from X-connect, your keystrokes and the board ops are combined.

Simon.

Archived