Wireless firing systems on ebay

lonfire

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lightnix

I'd steer well clear of it, myself :g:

There's no mention of what regulatory standards (if any) it satisfies, or even what frequency it works on. Could be a recipe for disaster B-)

hi,

noticed these on ebay.. I guess they are more aimed at the fireworks market than the stage pyro market, but has anybody used them or seen them? what did you think?

I too would steer well clear of it!! You could never guarentee the frequency of the unit. Best to not take the risk.

I've asked a few people what coding these units use... none of the importers were able to tell me. Also, there is no safety (or spare) on the transmitter and the keylock on the receiver is laughable. Personally I'd be wary of using these.

Steve

Just asked a question "What kind of protection from other radio interference?"

I couldn't tell you precisely how the radio circuit works on these devices, however I do know that they use standard security coding (similar to other security keyfobs) and therefore will only operate with the correct remote control transmitting the correct code.. we haven't found any problems when we tested these units and have had no bad feedback from people that have used them alot..

Just asked a question "What kind of protection from other radio interference?"

I couldn't tell you precisely how the radio circuit works on these devices, however I do know that they use standard security coding (similar to other security keyfobs) and therefore will only operate with the correct remote control transmitting the correct code.. we haven't found any problems when we tested these units and have had no bad feedback from people that have used them alot..

The protection from interference is provided by requiring the correct code to be received multiple times in succession. False firing is very unlikely for this reason.

But I wouldn't use it either - I'd want two-way communication for status indications, etc. a wired controller which locks out the remote unless armed, etc.

the Wireless system sends signals to individual receivers which in turn connect to the pyro/fireworks. well that's what I have been told! hence the term wireless. B-)

(ten mins later!)

I have just had a good look at the picture and the description and have noticed that this item (in my opinion) is described wrong.

it is a remote controlled unit not a wireless system. Like I said a wireless system is like the above (that's just my opinion what do you all think?).

I have just had a good look at the picture and the description and have noticed that this item (in my opinion) is described wrong.

it is a remote controlled unit not a wireless system. Like I said a wireless system is like the above (that's just my opinion what do you all think?).

I think you're being pedantic. Yes there are wires there - between the receiver box and the fireworks. So strictly speaking it's not "wireless". These will be relatively short wires, in an area where people will not go.

But there are no wires between the bit with the buttons - the "remote control" - and the receiver box.

Hence it's a wireless system by most sensible definitions.

As an analogy, I'm using a "wireless broadband" system at the moment. The bit I operate - the laptop - has no wires connected to it. But the broadband router which makes it all work is wrapped in a rats nest of cables....

Bruce.

the Wireless system sends signals to individual receivers which in turn connect to the pyro/fireworks. well that's what I have been told! hence the term wireless.

(ten mins later!)

hmmmm.. right.. its wireless.. no doubt about that.. next you'll be asking for fuseless fireworks or receivers embedded into the fireworks.. I think not..

anyway. I've had a chat to some other fireworks companys who've used them and it seems they are quite popular.. I agree with what people are saying that the lack of a decent lock off switch on the remote or deadmans handle mean that these wouldn't be suitable for situations where the pyro is situated close to people or where people could be.. but for a fireworks display they seem ideal..

thanks

chris

<SNIP>

but for a fireworks display they seem ideal..

There is also the strong possibility that is it on a public frequency (ie 2.4gHz) which makes it ideal for misfires in an area with high radio traffic. I mean if it was a show with radio mics galore - say 20 or 30 (outdoor concert) with beltpack coms, mobile phones, walkie talkies, wireless DMX, wireless networks, generic noise, bluetooth laptop next to the transmitter.... and 40 channels on a remote that looks like it is for a toy car... excuse me whilst I shiver a bit.

One of the most common problems I could imagin happening - pyro operator needs to use the WC. Urgently. There are then a number of possible things he can do.

1) Lock remote in a petty cash type container. (*****)

2) Give remote to someone else (***)

3) Disarm all of the remote stations (*)

4) Put the remote down on the desk ()

5) Take the remote with him ()

Now option 1 is pretty much ideal - it is the equiv. to having a key lock on the remote.

Option 2, not as ideal, as chances are said person is not qualified in pyro, could be a clutz, may not understand what could happen if he presses this button etc.

Option 3 is safe, but by the time he has done that, he has wet his pants, and by the time he re arms them, he has missed the next cue. Option 4 is dangerous, what happens if it falls - I have changed channels on my TV by dropping the remote before, or by sitting on it after it fell off my coffee table. Option 5, well if something were to go wrong, either the remote would be flushed, or he would hit a button accidently.

Some features which would put my mind at rest

1) firing stations automatically disarm when the remote is not within (x) meters of it. Re-Arming of stations requires a pin.

2) larger remote - preferably desk/table top.

3) keylock on remote

4) ability to get status check on each channel (ie continuity check)

5) should larger remote not be possible, a 'joystick' (without the base) style remote requiring the holding of a trigger allong with the fire button would give me that extra piece of mind.

Archived