Install multicore Help

Deathride

ok I have a 24 core cable and im guessing I need to solder pins 2 and 3 from the solder side ...

its an 8 in 4 out stage box that goes to 8 in 4 out stage box

I have soldered pins 2-3 on both sides at the moment am I going wroung please help as this system has been sitting there doing nothing waiting for things to be done for the last 2 years so I really want to finish the system :angry:

also dont know if this helps the system will be used for Mics and a talk back system

the run is about 25 meters thank you in advance

ok I have a 24 core cable and im guessing I need to solder pins 2 and 3 from the solder side ...

its an 8 in 4 out stage box that goes to 8 in 4 out stage box

I have soldered pins 2-3 on both sides at the moment am I going wroung please help as this system has been sitting there doing nothing waiting for things to be done for the last 2 years so I really want to finish the system :angry:

also dont know if this helps the system will be used for Mics and a talk back system

Erm, Deathride ,

It's a little hard to determine what you are doing....

Do you have 24 pair cable (i.e. 24 instances of a twisted pair of wires with an uninsulated earth "drain" wire each wrapped in an aluminium foil (a total of 72 insulated / bare earth wires ), or 24 core cable (i.e. 24 wires with an overall braided screen) or some other permutation? I'm guessing that with 12 connectors in use, you have 24 core overall screen cable?

Is your problem determining what to do with the earth connection?

If your cable is overall screen, then it's not recommended for this application. Most of the noise rejection comes from the cable pairs being twisted. Furthermore, without individual screening, crosstalk becomes increasingly problematic. Lastly, if by talk back, you mean running line level signals back to stage, you really do need individually screened twisted pair cable. If it is a comms system, (e.g. Tecpro) I would strongly suggest keeping the earth separate, as it is used for signalling.

Let us know exactly what you are using, and we can go from there...

Simon

Do you have 24 pair cable (i.e. 24 instances of a twisted pair of wires with an uninsulated earth "drain" wire each wrapped in an aluminium foil (a total of 72 insulated / bare earth wires ), or 24 core cable (i.e. 24 wires with an overall braided screen) or some other permutation? I'm guessing that with 12 connectors in use, you have 24 core overall screen cable?

Let us know exactly what you are using, and we can go from there...

Simon

OK we have 24 separate wire NOT twisted pairs we have an overall braided cable .... by the sounds of this it is the wrong cable for the job. My next question is where can we get the right cable and how much will it cost. Thank you for confirming that I have not used the correct cable and also for your help in cable choosing the RIGHT cable .... the reason we had this is because an electrician said it was right and I always had my doubts about it we will be will to spend £150 approx on new cable if its on a drum

ok we have 24 separate wire NOT twisted pairs we have an overall braided cable .... by the sounds of this it is the wrong cable for the job ,,,,

Wrong stuff! Is this for an installation, or a snake that gets coiled and moved?

There is a huge choice, have a look here, for Canford Audio where FSM is an install cable that I have used and 'like' working with. If you need flexible then you might do well to look at Kelsey or Klotz.

BTW, I hope you don't mind but with my :angry: hat on, I'm going to tidy that quote of yours!

yes this is for an installation btw im a lampie not a sound guy im doing this cause the sound guys are lazy and cant be bothered also ones colour blind so :S so I need 24 pair yes ?

oh and I dont mind flashing lights :angry:

btw I seend one http://www.canford.co.uk/commerce/ProductD...roductID=31-024

I have never used there site so is this per meter or peer reel ?!

im only doing it because I am one of the people who started it ..... Also the sound boys are starting giving me respect which is nice

also if I leave and its not done it will really p**s me off

anyway cheers for that know any sites which is cheap ? for multipair cable ?

• 2 months later...

I apologise for renewing an old topic only now have we finally got funding for this little project the target is £250 for 100m of 12 pair cable what cable would you recommend and will it be balanced or unbalanced ( we want balanced because its easy to sort out ) I have gone to canford but as I have said before sound is over my head.

this will hopefully be that last post also can you supply the link to the product I might be able to get more funding but I am fighting for this £250 !

Have you looked at Van damme cable. I have a multicore made up of it, I love it. Try it here, then you might get it cheaper with a google. It comes up to 1000m drums. May be over your budget still, but it is some of the best cable around.

Hers the link http://www.vdctrading.com/products.asp?Sub...D=1&ProductID=2

Cheers

Rich

Archived